Recording

Maher

How do i get a better tone and stuff for recording... heres a quick recording of me playing, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/leemmmusic.htm it just sounds crap, i was going from the line out on my amp to the line in on my PC, should i mic the amp instead?

also any comments on my playing, i know im crap but any suggestion to improve my playing would be cool, by the way thats just one take improv :D

Going from the line out of your amp should sould like crap unless you have an amp with speaker simulation. Did I mention my SansAmp? :D

It would be far better to put a microphone in front of the speaker to record.

If you want to record without blasting the neighbors away, look into a speaker emulator like the Red Box, or the one by Cornford. There are also many amps now that have speaker emulation built in, Marshall, Cornford, Tech21 and Line6 being amoung them.

You could also look into the VAmp or Pod or SansAmp to get into the world of virtual amps and amp modeling.

There's going to be a lot of options for you. If you are just getting started and want to go cheap just to see what you can do, you could get a cheap microphone that plugs into your computer. You get what you pay for there though.

If you are going to start seriously recording than a POD or something of that ilk will serve you better in the long run. There are so many of these available now and they all do a good job. The ones that I tried a few years ago that were horrible at the time (not naming names) have made improvements and they are even pretty good now.

It's interesting to hear what other people use to record with.

For me, it's the SansAmp. Totally no frills and straight tone.

PODs are awesome! and probably cheaper than getting a half-decent small-diaphragm condenser mic (which i like to use to mic guitar cabs)... although for like, a Shure SM57 (not a condenser but industry standard for a LOT of micing) the price will be less than a pod, and still workable.

Somebody finally agrees with me!!! I am tired of saying that to record stuff a POD or any multieffects will do a better-bang-for-the-buck than to get a good mic and a brake for a Marshal so that you don't get the cops called on you... :D is that sirens outside the house B) ... well any way, I went and got this and it makes an awsome job in modeling different amps. As soon as I get the MIDI adapter to conect it to the Lap Top I will try and post some clips...

I went and got this and it makes an awsome job in modeling different amps.  As soon as I get the MIDI adapter to conect it to the Lap Top I will try and post some clips...

I've heard that the GNX1 doesn't switch between patches instantly, leaving a 1/2 second gap, which IMO is quite unacceptable. Have you experienced this, or was the guy I heard using a faulty piece of equipment?

What do you need a MIDI connector for, if you're going to record? MIDI is used to control what patch etc. you're using, not to transfer sound.

I'm using a Boss GX-700. If someone tells me where I could upload a clip, I can get you a sample in a few hours.

I've heard that the GNX1 doesn't switch between patches instantly, leaving a 1/2 second gap, which IMO is quite unacceptable. Have you experienced this, or was the guy I heard using a faulty piece of equipment?

What do you need a MIDI connector for, if you're going to record? MIDI is used to control what patch etc. you're using, not to transfer sound.

I'm using a Boss GX-700. If someone tells me where I could upload a clip, I can get you a sample in a few hours.

yes it does have a 1/2 sec delay, but I have had no problem with it so far, Usually when Iplay with someone I don't play lead, ( I suck soloing) so I don't have to change patches on a fly. If I had more money iwould have bought the GNX2 or if I had enough the GT6 (BOSS) but for what iplay, usualy for my self, this is better than the AXG1 that I had!!!

could anyone who has recording equipment suggested in this thread please post recordings?? that would be great, and also any opinions on my playing? B) i must suck real bad :D

I don't have the capabilities right know but if you go to the equipment you plan on getting web site they have demos or the sounds you can get, also you can go to Musicians Friend they have patches for almost all the effects they sell.

i use a V-amp 2. here is a link to some recordings. I know the songs suck, but just listen to the tone of the guitar in the songs. i used a V-amp 2 for all guitar parts.

songs

I would guess people are a bit reluctant because they can't hear your redording unless they register. I'll register though, to post my own recording, and I'll try to give some comment on your playing too.

It's not crap. It felt quite fresh in my ears, except that the main riff repeats a whole lot too much. That would get better with vocals over though. Not meant as an insult, but that would, with vocals on it, be playable on radio without a problem, IMO. The tone needs some work though, as you said.

I signed up and uploaded a little "tone sample" made with my Jackson plugged into my Boss GX-700, which has it's headphones jack plugged to the line in on my soundcard. I just improvised up 3 parts of it, first some heavily disted stuff, then some clean stuff, and then some "crunched" stuff. Then I played a part of Metallica's Master of Puppets, and then a part of Pantera's Cemetary Gates, from memory, so Ican't guarantee any correctness. And it's quite sloppy stuff, partially because it's improvised (or just from memory), partially because it's late at night here, partially because I'm not good with the guitar.

Anyone willing to guess 1) whether my guitar is a bolt on or neck thru and 2) what brand of pickups I use?

I also took the time to post my band's demo, consisting of 4 songs, rather poorly recorded and mixed, but always something. The darn mixer we used made it all sound very hollow, but whatever.

My tone sample is posted under the band name "GurrA" (which is categorised as Metal>Death/Black Metal as that is what I mainly listen to), and the rest is under "27 Stitches" (which is under Pop>Pop Rock, because that's what I'd call it). But I don't think the stuff shows up until someone there has checked it's not copyrighted stuff.

I would guess people are a bit reluctant because they can't hear your redording unless they register. I'll register though, to post my own recording, and I'll try to give some comment on your playing too.

If they are posting the have to be sign on, playing sound OK, I'm not a big player so I don't comment much about other peoples unless they are really good or they really suck, other than that :D

I didn't get half of that. sorry. Who are you talking to and what are you saying? (it may be that it's 06:40 and I've been awake all night, or maybe I'm just stupid. Noneless, clarification would be appreciated.

Oh, and my little tone sample has been approved now.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/gurramusic.htm is where you'll find it. And my bands stuff, if you have nothing to laugh at ATM:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/27stitches.htm

Lol, hard to find. They can give bands sorted from A to Z, but the numbers are not included in that sorting process.

I'm just saying that if you see posts thoseare already registered and sign-on the forum, it was directed to you, just to correct the post, but there is a lot of people like you say that browse the forum without voice, Idid that my self, not a big fan of forums, they are full of young kids with nothing in their mind but mess around with people...( like me about 10 years ago), ... but this forum is nice and there is a lot to learn from it. And the comment about the sound was for Lee.

Sorry if I don't sound logic some times, Spanish is my first language, and I have to translate what I think almost all the time...

Ok, now I get it. Thanks for clarifying.

The signing up I was talking about was to listen to Lee's playing (or at least to download the mp3, maybe you could stream it w/o signing up?).

And, yeah, lurking around for a while before signing up is what I usually do too.

ohhh, you have to sign up? i dint relize sorry guys dont bother if you dont want to , its nothing great infact its craopla :D

Soundclick does have the user registration issue, but for me there's another problem. Since I do most of my surfing at work, Soundclick is filtered out as an MP3 site. Tut tut, they don't want me (or anyone else) wasting bandwidth on MP3's.

NO, you can connect it to an amplifier solid state and from there to the cab. The output of the POD is line output, and you will ned a floor board to use it to it's full potential. Line 6 is an awsome piece of equipment but for the price of the POD 2.0, and if you already have a cabinet ie. 4X12 you can get the Line 6 Spider II HD Head, Look Here. or if you want to record direct and don't want to buy extra stuff get the GNX3 or the BOSS GT6 from which I prefer the GT6 but I own the GNX1 and I wish I had the 3, I find it more user friendly that the GT6 and the Warp function is awsome for getting the sound you are looking for.