Stew mac drill press planner

Are you referring to this: Wagner Safe-T Planer?

I bought one after reading about it in the Benedetto book. It is a great little tool that I use often for tapering necks and headstocks. The only thing about it that I don't like is that it will kickback but only when you try to take of 1/16" or less. It needs the backup of wood to keep it from kicking on you. If I keep the cuts at a minimum of 1/8" it works fine. I usually use a handplane for finer cuts but I was trying it out to see what it would do. All in all it is a worthy tool that does what it says and is built very well.

Sears/Craftsman used to offer the same type of "planer" for use on a radial arm saw.....As I recall it was a piece of junk then and most likely is still a piece of junk.....You won't get very even planing......My advice is save your $$$$ for a better tool.

On the contrary, the safe-T planer has been beloved of guitar builders and repairers for a long time. I suggest you cast you eye over the the MIMF or Frank Ford's Frets.com before you dismiss it. You'll also find Bob Bendetto using it to taper his archtop necks.

The POS you used may have dissapointed, but I've heard nothing but good about the Safe-T.

Don't need one....Don't want one. A drill press is not meant to be a planer. If these things will kick back while shaving less than 1/16in....you run a great risk of damaging your work piece beyond repair. All too frequently, planing a surface will involve passes of less than 1/32in. I'll stick with my over-arm pin router and vertical mill.....at least with these machines I get enough rpms.

On the contrary, the safe-T planer has been beloved of guitar builders and repairers for a long time. I suggest you cast you eye over the the MIMF or Frank Ford's Frets.com before you dismiss it. You'll also find Bob Bendetto using it to taper his archtop necks.

The POS you used may have dissapointed, but I've heard nothing but good about the Safe-T.

Bob Benedetto has been building since 1968 and with experience like that, I would expect him to know quality tools.

Even a good tool can be a POS in the wrong hands. :D

ok, the next step is to find out what place sells it the cheapest.

I was just looking it up on google groups. here's just one post :

"Stan I have used it, it is a great idea, and I would recommend it except

for one serious 'side effect' This tool generate alot of lateral pressure

on the drill press spindle etc.- DPs are not milling machines, and are not

designed for side loading, but only for vertical loading. You will ruin

your drill press by using this tool. no doubt about it! (unless your

drill press is some massive industrial machine with large sleeve type

bearings on the shaft. Theonly alternative I see is to design a

'special' drill press type tool with the proper loading char. that a

mill-drill machine has. The other option is to get the RAS version (if

you have a RAS)."