new RG problemz

Hokay! so heres da thing. Im currently in oregon for vacation and theres this buy sell trade place rite? so i sees a red ibanez RG 120 for 135$$ so i says to myself:hey! you should get that! so i did. so i have 2 questions. #1) the tuners on this puppy are really loose and i can move em around and all that. and the guy at the store said if i open up the tuners, there'll be a screw i can just tighten. well that obviously didnt work coz im askin ya about it. #2) the back side of the body is kinda sorta chipped and i was wondering how the best/ easiest/cheapest way to do that would be. I would also like to re-finish it, but that aint exactly a high priority or whatever. so pleez hook me up with sum of that guitar-fixin know how and write me up. aloha :D

well imho, if the back side of the body is chipped enough that you want to repair it then you might as well just refinish! you might have a hard time getting the colour down to match the rest of the guitar, so you might be better removing the paint, then filling the chips with filler - then refinishing to suit you're tastes!

The tuners should have several ways to tighten then up, depends on whta you mean by "moveable!" realyl!

k. to litchfield, yea i wanbna fix it jus so i got a nice playable guitar sos idont have sumthin that looks like crap. and im not exactly a guitar know it all especially when it comes to tuners. so i dunno what ya mean by "sealed" they gots the lil covers over em if thats what ya mean. sry 4 my stupidity. and when i say the tuners are moving around, i mean you can grab the tuner and move it around in the lil covers. a guy at another place i just went to said theyre shot, but i figured i mite as well try to fix em. o yea! i also wanna refinish, but like i said its not a high priority. :D

As for tuners being "loose", there's only three things I can think of that are "user" fixable.

The "knob" of the tuner could be loose. Just tighten the little screw on the end of it.

The whole tuner is loose in it's hole. Tighten the nut that's at the base of the post on the front.

And finally, if it's the type that uses a small screw on the back of the headstock, tighten that.

Sealed tuners are really sealed, so I wouldn't recommend to take them apart to fix anything...

:D

The tuners on the RG120 are crappy cheapo tuners and are usually loose from new. Spend $40 on a set of Gotoh's and be done with the hassles all together.

As for the chips, unless you want to refinish the whole thing it's probably not worth fixing multiple chips. Playablitiy and cosmetics thankfully don't work hand in hand. It's a $135 guitar, keep that in mind, having said that, if you LOVE it, it's worth doing whatever you want to it. But I would upgrade the tuners on it for sure, a graphite nut would be a good step with it as well.

• 1 month later...
I have a good idea for the starting part.  Try talking in proper english not internet slang and use some Capitalization.  You'll get taken a whole lot more seriously. :D

LGM, I'm glad I dindn't reply as soon as I finish reading his 1st post!!! I was about to ask if he was the long lost cousing of the Legally Blonde Chick... I barely understand what he was saying LMAO . But seriously talking now, replace the tunners,, play it like it is, or just do like Litchfield said, a 5150 style, cover the scratches with the white and black stripes, sisce the guitar is red to start with.

Im sure if you post some pics of the scratchs it you would get a more specific refinishing your particular guitar (not that you have gotten bad answers but it easier to give advice on something that you can see.) I mean when people are thinking of the scratchs they may think they know what they look like and give you an answer but then their actualy much worse then that so the suggested method may not be the best method.