pickup design

monkey69962000

hey i dont know if this would work, but what if you made a guitar that hav a V shape one the pickups that picked up 3 strings on each half of the V. If it works please dont steal the idea. Its going to be my slow prject over the school year. Can you tell me if it would work. oh. its also 2 pickups that pick up 3 strings each instead of a V shaped coil. Could it tune right and wil it work.

Shouldn't be a problem....it'd be a pain in the buns to wind if you make the PU out of one piece....if you do 2 pickups it'd be no different than doing 2 angled singles...I suppose you could use 2 small bobbins then join them with a bobbin topper or something...

Actually that's a neat idea...that's one of the few parts of the guitar that not many people have been creative with

hey i dont know if this would work, but what if you made a guitar that hav a V shape one the pickups that picked up 3 strings on each half of the V. If it works please dont steal the idea. Its going to be my slow prject over the school year. Can you tell me if it would work. oh. its also 2 pickups that pick up 3 strings each instead of a V shaped coil. Could it tune right and wil it work.

there were flying v's in the 80s that were using v-shaped pickups i believe

wait having two pickups in one using 3 strings each pickup, would hat create extra hum. wouldnt that men i would have to make 4 to create a humbucker. You cant make a sing coil can you. I NEED HELP. PLEASE I STILL HAVE DOUBTS IT WILL WORK.

think p bass pickups, except the tone will be bright because the pickups are angled.

http://www.flying-v.ch/pickups/pickups.html

"1982 V2 : the first batches came with boomerang shaped PU's. It is not clear if they are single coils or mini humbuckers although the timbre and output suggest single coils but they are composed of 2 coils in a chevron disposition. The lack of success of those prompted Gibson to issue the remainder V2s with regular humbuckers. "

v2pu.jpg

wait having two pickups in one using 3 strings each pickup, would hat create extra hum. wouldnt that men i would have to make 4 to create a humbucker.

You've got two coils, so all you have to do is set it up as a humbucker, just like the reverse wound middle pickup on a Strat. :D

wait having two pickups in one using 3 strings each pickup, would hat create extra hum. wouldnt that men i would have to make 4 to create a humbucker. You cant make a sing coil can you. I NEED HELP. PLEASE I STILL HAVE DOUBTS IT WILL WORK.

If you wound two (small three string) coils in different directions, with different polarity on the magnets it would work as a humbucker. You could then stick these two smaller coils together in the v shape you've described. Some people have used a similar design to get a humcancelling single coil.

Unfortunately it is quite an ambitious project so, unless you've got a lot of pickup winding experience, I'd stick with winding a few singles and humbuckers first. Any problems you have with the simpler pickups will be amplified with this complex, experimental design.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to try making something old and getting it to work well first. There's a great deal more to winding pickups than just wrapping some wire on a bobbin. No insult intended, but there's a skill set involved that isn't that easy to attain - that's why Lindy Fralin, et al, get good prices for their hand-wounds. Remember, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it. :D

i understand what your saying lovecraft but remember this is for a project in like 6 to months. I will be making custom pickups for my new les paul project. I have read about 5 different things. Ok i got some new ideas while i was at the Marina Del Ray at my uncles. I figured i would make a O pickup. look:

I I XX I I

I X I I X I

X I I I I X

X I I I I X

I X I I X I

I I XX I I

Blue is the pick up

I is the strings

I also had a few more and if i do them it will be in secret until i rveal them to the forum

There was a HB done with 12 coils...

Actually...the burns guitars used to have split singles.....they had a setting so it'd use the the treble side of the bridge and the bass side of the neck pickup....neat idea actually

I suppose you could wire it up to cancel hum....probably not as successfully as if you did it full HB style....

I don't see the project being that difficult....it shouldn't be any tougher than a normal humbucker other than you'll probably have to custom fabricate most of it

I'd go for it....

well then want about doing 6 individual picups for each string so its 6 pickups in one. im looking fo design. I dont care the time im bored as it is. plus i have a lego robotics set to wind my pickups while im at school if i need too. Can people put sugestions.

There was a guitar in the 80s that used this pickup design. It had a pan control for each string so that you could arrange the 6 strings however you wanted in the stereo field. EVH briefly endorsed it but it was covered in knobs so I think people thought it was too complicated. Cool idea though.

Here is a picture of a similar pickup that Jason Lollar designed.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/custom_pickups.htm

7_string_X_assembly_small.jpg