transformer questions

StratDudeDan

something new from me, i've figured i'm gonna try and build my own amp. yeah, that's right, you heard me.

i'm unintelligently starting off with a 1962 Marshall Reissue Valve/Trem combo. problem is, i can't find what transformers are in there, and if i can't find that, i can't make 'em...

the schematics are here, there are three "T's" in there, but one is a choke. T1 and T2 confuse me, however.

i don't know if this information is able to even be gotten ahold of, if i could buy these somewhere (i do know how to make transformers, though, and if i don't, i have a couple books that help me out when i run into stuff like this...). any and all help is cool, if this gets busy or way over the top for some people less informed in the electronics world and would end up confusing them, feel free to PM me, as well.

It's none of my business, but why did you pick that particular Marshall? Why not a regular JTM-45 reissue or 1972/Bluesbreaker, or an 18 Watt, or even a JCM-800, or just about anything that's a little bit better documented? It doesn't matter, the standard JTM-45 iron should work. You can get a set from almost any tube amp parts source - OEI, New Sensor, Mercury Magnetics, AES and Mojo all carry them. Expect to pay at least $250-$300 for the trio. If this is your first foray into tube building, you might want to get your feet wet with something a little less complicated (and expensive), like an AX84 project, an 18Watt Lite, or even a Real McTube. Debugging a tube build can be frustrating, and it can get expensive quick if you happen to blow a transformer or two in a high-dollar amp. And never forget, tube power supplies generate high voltages that can easily kill you quite dead, so always be careful. Best of luck! :D

It's none of my business, but why did you pick that particular Marshall?

And never forget, tube power supplies generate high voltages that can easily kill you quite dead, so always be careful.

Best of luck!  :D

first question: i like it. and my friend wants one, so i'm gonna build myself a practice one before i charge him to build his.

secondly, i've accidentally touched the tube on a TV, a timing chip from an old computer, and popped myself on every type of house voltage in a normal house (yes, even 220V). i know it hurts, and i avoid doing it best i can. always.

thanks for the luck, and thanks for the help.

secondly, i've accidentally touched the tube on a TV, a timing chip from an old computer, and popped myself on every type of house voltage in a normal house (yes, even 220V). i know it hurts, and i avoid doing it best i can. always.

Don't forget that the B+ and the filter caps can very often carry upwards of 800 volts, a hell of a lot more than your average tv, vcr of even household electricty switch. Be sure you know ALL of the safety rules.

first question: i like it. and my friend wants one, so i'm gonna build myself a practice one before i charge him to build his.
Your friend wants a Marshall with tremolo? That's the bit I was questioning - a lot of wasted work if he/you won't use it. :D
Again, I think you may have misunderstood me - as Phil mentioned, you're going to have at least double that voltage present in that amp, and a lot of good opportunities to become an alternate ground path for it. You probably won't kill yourself, but people check out every day because they are doing things that aren't likely to be fatal. Just read , and be careful. It could mean the difference between being bit and being snakebit!

thanks for the luck, and thanks for the help.

Just have fun, and post soundclips! B)

Just don't mess with high voltage while someone else is in your shop talking to you. I've been zapped very badly from that. They make you forget that you didn't discharge the caps. I always go out and grab the welcome mat that's in front of the door, and throw it down on the floor in front of the bench to stand on. Only touch the amp with one hand. I'd be long dead without doing those things.

If anyone wants to post a tutorial about making your own trannys , that would be great. So far , I've only found this :

http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/ot1/ot.htm

I want to find out how to build one for a Fender Champ/Gibson GA-5 without filling my brain with so much technical stuff, I get a migrane. I'm too old to learn that much new info.

I was looking into an amp project myself. I can't answer any of the questions since I just started my research. I would like to share the resources I found though. Here are some links:

Ax84 Cooperative Tube Amp Project

Torres Amps - Build your own amp

Another build your own amp page

And you can't forget the schematics: Schematic Heaven

There is also another site that is specifically information and mods for the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. I have one and had a small problem with static and crackle. I searched this site out and found a fix that required replacing 5 resistors. It was easy to do and it worked. Anyway there is a lot of good information here and if you do have one of these (killer) amps there area few mods that you may want to try. The Unofficial Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Owner's Guide

This thread makes me want to get into this again...

Soapbar, I admire your ambition and pioneer DIY spirit, but you can buy a Champ output transformer for about $14.00 at Triode. For that price, it's gonna be tough to even get tooled up to wind your own.

I was thinking more of something like those custom ones made by that Delft guy, who sells 'em for $75 or something like that.

And... The best amp building advice I can ever give, is to stay the hell away from Torres.

wow. there is a lot more involved in these transformers than i thought. i knew the power and resistance was important, as well as the type of wire and whatnot, but i really didn't know that the sound of the whole amp can be totally or even noticably altered by it.

i'm gonna do some more reading up before i dive in, but i thank everyone for their comments and i hope i sparked some old interest in tube amp building. i think it'll be fun.