Sanded through

I am making a guitar with a carved maple top on mahogany. I sanded slightly through the maple near the flat edge too far in to be hidden by the binding. I plan to finish the guitar in vintage amber dye before clear finishing so the sand through will be noticible unless I do something. Any ideas? Thanks.

The thought crossed my mind that I may have all of a sudden inadvertently decided to do a burst - mostly amber moving to a mid brown or something like that. Barring any other solutions ( :D ), I'll begin to research burst styles and techniques.

Depending on my ability, that may look ok - actually, I'd be more worried about achieving a good burst than the sandthroughs.

I like the sound of a poor man's burst. Tell me more.

Anyone else out there see any other alternatives besides a burst, or do I have to break the news to my client (my oldest son :D )? Consider it a challenge for all the finishing gurus. Or am I sol?

This is the Idea that I had for my LP. Dye the wood a beautiful dark blu, do the black sand blue, to get the flames alive... then seal it, mask some wicked flames, and finish on a sparkling metalic blue like this one, that I used on my Squier... I can't do it because my guitar has a very thin veneer, so I will be finishing in a solid color, maybe Gold top with the mirage Gold/Magenta from duplicolor, or just the mirage one... Good luck with the guitar.

PS, Classic burst finishes are "boring" that's what I think, If you are doing a burst do a Carrieburst or a Dragon Burst...

Since my son wanted a more or less vintage look with a dyed amber finish, and since I screwed that finish up by sanding through, I guess I'm in hunt for the classic burst look. If I screw that up, he may get a gold top :D ...

Here is the dragonburst, I always called like this and I guess some people did to, because that's how Warmoth call it in their site :D

dragonburst.jpg

, and I couln't find somenthing thta will look like what I said with the flames, but this one looks close

bluetribal.jpg

Just Imagine the blue area with a blue dye and the black area with the same metalic blue as the tribal. Warmoth used to have a strat black with see thru blue flame maple, look terrific, the only problem was thatit was front routed and the pickguard detracted from the top...