3 pics of my friend Tim's padauk/mahogany guitar

Fuss_Done_02.JPG

Fuss_Done_03.JPG

Fuss_Done_04.JPG

His resonates more like my prototype. If it had "F" holes, it probably could be played acoustically! The "skeleton" on his is much thinner than mine and therefore the top and back resonate more. I suspect it will sound more like a jazz guitar like my prototype does. Visually, it is knock-your-socks-off stunning!!! Boggs

Haha... i was about to say, "Looks a lot like a Kubicki," and then i scrolled down and saw the Factor bass parked next to it. I've always loved that body shape. Very cool.

Nice detailing on the control plate... but why the decision to put the tailpiece right at the back end of the body and have such limited upper-fret access?

Nice detailing on the control plate... but why the decision to put the tailpiece right at the back end of the body and have such limited upper-fret access?

You stole my comment, I always try to do anythin possibvle to reach up there, and this will be the only flaw that Isee on this guitar. The controls cover Idea is great, the only one that I have seen that's better is on a site that the guy used a laser to cut the plate out from the same back board. Other than this, this guitar is beautifull, I love the headstock shape, a fan of 4+2, and with straight string pull! Is that a carvin neck?

He realized he limited access to the upper frets after it was "too late."

Both of our guitars are chambered bodies using the full thickness of mahogany (Cuban mahogany in my case) chambered out for resonance with African padauk on the top and bottom. We also both put in a layer of maple between the padauk and the mahogany to enhance contrast between the woods. The top and back are both bookmatched so each body is made from 7 pieces of wood. We both cut our electronics access panels out from the backs by hand.

It is a Carvin neck and the headstock is Tim's design.

That upright is from the 1800s and Tim has been steadily restoring it and has actually gigged with it. He made the bridge for it and reset the neck and also fixed some gaping cracks and delaminations. We are learning this stuff on-the-fly by doing.

"GOTM?"

Thanks for the interest! Boggs

What's the story on the GOTM? I don't see a forum or anything dedicated to it. I'd kind of like to submit both of ours if there is a process... Boggs

HERE ya go.

I was -wondering- when you were going to toss them up, I didn't know you didn't know about GOTM. :D

See ya there! :D

Limit 4 pics per guitar so I was told, hehehe.

PS, the 'flow' to get there is PG forum > General Topics > Announcements.

If you're a pro, then enter them in the Pro section. I led you to the amateur section where I happily reside. B)

Thanks, man! I have to decide now on what photos to do... Since Tim is not a member here, am I still allowed to enter his on his behalf since I helped him with it?

Thanks, man! 3 guitars now entered all finished this month! I should mention that yours looks just outstanding!!!! Very nice work! Boggs