Les Paul Type Wiring Diagram

ShreddyKrueger

Shreddy, what kind of switch is that (where did you get it, what's the pniout, etc.)? If it's a SPDT On-On-On switch, it's a direct replacement for the Gibson-style toggle switch (it just won't fit in the hole right), and you can just wire each volume pot's output to either end and wire the center lug to your jack. This diagram shows how to wire it up with Gibson 4 conductor pickups - to use other pickups, consult this color code chart.

It's always a trade-off. The open frame Gibson style switch does tend to get dirty faster than a sealed toggle switch, but it's trivially easy to clean and works much more smoothly, and its rather low tolerances allow it to survive more abuse than a modern sealed toggle switch can take. FWIW, the Gibson switch was designed way back (1930s?), before obsolescence was deliberately built into components. So you can either opt for a smooth switch that needs regular cleaning, or a switch that's not as smooth that probably won't need to be cleaned until it's time for a replacement.

It's always a trade-off. The open frame Gibson style switch does tend to get dirty faster than a sealed toggle switch, but it's trivially easy to clean and works much more smoothly, and its rather low tolerances allow it to survive more abuse than a modern sealed toggle switch can take. FWIW, the Gibson switch was designed way back (1930s?), before obsolescence was deliberately built into components. So you can either opt for a smooth switch that needs regular cleaning, or a switch that's not as smooth that probably won't need to be cleaned until it's time for a replacement.

That's exactly it, the Gibson is smooth and it may requiere cleaning, but it's way better than the Epi, I don't know why I had to open the cover to clean the Epi almos every 2-3 months, the Gibson was installed about 2 yrs now, it went from Texas to Germany to MAryland and I haven't had to clean it yet. And is the open type.

About those gibson 3-way toggle switches. When the toggle bit, pushes away one of the metal plates from the midde. Is that disconnecting that pushed away plate from the middle connection (as in deselecting whatever pickup is connected to that end of the switch)? Or is it the other way around. Example, I have wired mine, bridge pickup on the right and neck on the left. If the pickup switch is pointing towards the bridge (as in it is pushing away the little metal plate the neck pickup is connected to, does this leave the middle and bridge plate connected or is it the other way around and therefore I have wired my switch in reverse?

i think i understand what you are asking so i will try to answer...

which ever way you puck the switch, the pick up wired to that side will be on and the other off. When the switch pushes the plate it turns that pickup off by making the connection uncomplete.

Hope that helped

Yeah, so my wiring is from left to right (looking down on the switch with the ground leg closest to me) its neck, wire to vol pot, bridge. So when the switch pushes the plate away that the neck p/u wire is connected to, the bridge pickup is selected (which also means the switch is pointing towards the bridge, and therefore correct logical wiring).