ok, heres the deal, i "changed my mind on how i'm going to complete my refinishing project" it's in quotes because i didn't realize i wanted it different until i messed up on my first attempt. :D well, i guess it's not too bad because it's still going to be a great guitar, my burst was not a success. It was blotchy, and there were marks from whre the push pins were (should've taken your "holding the template" advice, Brian.)<--other than that, i dont know what i did wrong, so im going to take this as a sign that it wasnt the best way to go, im not going to just paint it black or anything, im probably going to make a red trapazoidal (sp?) stripe down the middle, and maybe something else, im not sure, but I'll make it something that ill be sure to do correctly B)

cool site.

I was actually thinking of buying one of those cheap SGs on eBay and attempting something very similar then I decided to just work on the Epiphone I already had.

too bad the burst didn't work out for you.

I'm going to be attempting a burst finish soon and I'm pretty worried about messing it up

good luck with the rest of it!

cool site.

I was actually thinking of buying one of those cheap SGs on eBay and attempting something very similar then I decided to just work on the Epiphone I already had.

too bad the burst didn't work out for you.

I'm going to be attempting a burst finish soon and I'm pretty worried about messing it up

good luck with the rest of it!

i just think i tried to rush my burst, i didnt have a very clear open space to work in (which i could have made easily by moving the guitar a little bit) and i didnt look around the guitar evenly like i should have, i think to make your burst the best looking (im not sure if you should actually listen to me, remember, i messed mine up :D ) take your time as much as possible and make sure you do a thourough(sp) job, and which i should have done, practice on a scrap piece before you do yor guitar, it'll make a difference!

ya, I think I liked the Ray better...

maybe you could combine the two and make the cross run lengthwise over the whole body?

do whatever you like best though

thanks for ur imput guys, i dont mean to cast you completely out of my decision, but i think im going to go ahead and make the cross like in the picture, but thanks! :D

hey, i put the cross on today, now all that's left is the clear coat, I'll most likely start on that tommorrow...

link

BIG TIP!: WHEN UNMASKING AN AREA, PEAL TAPE, DO NOT YANK TAPE!! I LEARNED THE HARD WAY :D well, it wasnt too bad, just next to a pickup cavity, and on the back, small rips, no bigger than 2 sq cm.

I personally think it looks terrible and I would call the whole thing a failure. But art is subjective, if you are pleased then great job. I mean it in a positive way, its just nothing I would do!

ahhh... words of encouragement dont get any better than this, thanks for your input man, i love you compliments, its like even if the finish sucks, your giving compliments its great man!, but, on a serious note, i think maybe its just the style i was looking for, its a completely different style than you would look for in a guitar.

Thumbnails would be nice :D

Between your site and boggs posting 3 lots of huge pics in a row in the GOTM thread my net has just fallen over :D

damn prehistoric technology

anyhoo, going from the bits id seen, I think you took a huge step backwards going from the burst to that cross thing. If youve got what you want now then congrats, but personally I think your capable of putting a bit more effort into the design stage than that B)

Thumbnails would be nice :D

Between your site and boggs posting 3 lots of huge pics in a row in the GOTM thread my net has just fallen over :D

damn prehistoric technology

anyhoo, going from the bits id seen, I think you took a huge step backwards going from the burst to that cross thing. If youve got what you want now then congrats, but personally I think your capable of putting a bit more effort into the design stage than that B) If the whole simple, ugly, "i dont care what people think cause im punk" look was your aim, maybe a red marker pen would have been more in order? :D

your right, but i still wanted it to have a proffessional looking finish, and make it look like a genuinely good guitar

looks like your trying to go for like a death metal hardcore like guitar (even though its not). I hate it personally. Sorry. I think the ray was cool. Well its your opinion that makes you happy.

death metal?! no! sorry but no, i hate death metal, i'm doing what i like best, i love you guys' words of encouragement, well, i actually kind of like the cross better than the burst or the ray. the burst kinda too much of a vintage finish, which is cool, i like looking at vintage stuff, and i like vintage stuff on les pauls. But an SG is more of a modern guitar, although it was created half a century ago, it is still a modern looking guitar, and the burst would look out of place with the SG and the style of music that my band plays. the ray was kind of gay looking, it's like it was in between modern and vintage, like 80's, which im not into at all. so i went for a more modern look, with the cross, i guess you could call it "punk" or whatever you want to call it, but it's what i like best. I had actually been tossing around putting a symbol or logo of some sort in black in the burst idea, but i wasnt sure, and when i started to do the ray, i said, "f' it, im gonna do a cross." and no matter what anybody else says, im still going to like it, and think i did a good job, becasue in my eyes i did, you all might think differently than i do, but my opinion is my opinion, and your opinion is your opinion, and to your opinion, i say to each his/her own

• 2 weeks later...