routing

ultraman

Routing really is the only viable alternative to chiseling. If you are planning on using a pickguard then you might be able to get away with using some Forstner bits and drilling the cavity out, but you wouldn't be able to do that for the truss rod channel.

The body cavities can be done with wide drill bits, or forstner bits as mentioned above.. Just drill lots of holes in whole cavity area and then use sanding or grinding attachments for your drill to shape the sides and the base of the cavities. But it will take time and the result will never look good like a router work.

Just don't use router bits with a drill. Typical routers work very fast.. 20000-30000 rpm. This provides best cutting. When the bit's blade hits the wood, it immediately cuts it without burning the wood or hopping. With a slower motor like a drill with 700 to 5000 rpm motor, your tool would be always hopping as the bit hits the wood and cannot be controlled even with templates.. and it would cut the wood very badly... Actually it wouldn't even be able to cut it unless it has a very very powerful motor (most drills are only around 500 W and it is enough for drilling work) Otherwise the motor or the wood would burn. In any case.. it is the worst thing you can do to a drill.

For the truss rod channel. It can be done with a table saw depending on what kind of truss rod you're using. But it would be like eating soup with a fork. You have to be very careful and need to make a very accurate jig. But if you have an access to a table saw.. you should have access to a router too. Just try to find a router.

If you are planning to work on guitars you can spend some money for a simple router. A router works 25000 rpm with a 500 W motor would work fine. It will be your right hand, your best friend.

I don't have a real router either. I found an old Bosch brand grinding power tool in my fathers workshop which is also used as a motor in some Bosch router models. (27000 rpm/320 W). Unfortunately it doesn't have a router base but with a little creativity I made a simple base for it. It only accepts the bits with maximum 6 mm (¼") shafts and adjusting the height can be difficult at times but it works just fine.