rgt

westhemann

hey i just ordered an ibanez rgt 42 from guitar trader.they have them on sale right now.i'll let you know how it is when i get it.i'm excited as ibanez is fairly new to the thru neck design.finally a neck thru i can afford!i'm sure i'll have to replace the stock pickups though.

Guest AlexVDL

I think what he's trying to say is that Ibanez is back doing the neck thru's. The last neck thur models I know of are the Amercan master models, but the Japanese J-custom line has them for a few years though.

Well anyway, it's very cool they do, and at that price I think there's no other brand that has such a deal on neck thru guitars. Even Bc rich is more expensive! :D

Westhemann, do you really know that you probably bought the old model with the Lo-TRS tremolo system on it? That's why lot's of Ibanez guitars are being sold at such low prices. The new guitars are coming with the new tremolo sytems, so the old ones have to go. I hope you ordered one with the new edge pro II tremolo! :D

I don't want to freighten you or something, but I really should check. Or if you don't mind it's no problem after all B)

I hope you'll get the guitar very soon and I hope you'll love it, they're great guitars!

yeah alex it does have the trs but i am not familiar with that trem.if i don't like it i'm sure i can fit in an edge 2 right?i have the lo pro in my sabre and even though i don't use it all the time i am in the process of learning slayer leads and i do bomb quite a bit.i figure at that price i can upgrade the hardware if i need to.

Guest AlexVDL

The Lo-TRS is a fine tremolo. The steel is a bit soft, so if you dive bomb often you need to resharpen the knife edges once in a while. But other than that it stays in tune fine if it's setup properly.

What I wanted to say from the other post, is that I hoped you didn't count on it that the guitar is equiped with the new style trem. I was not saying that the Lo-TRS is crap or something. I just find that some internet stores use new pictures of guitars and the sell the old ones for the low prices. I've also seen some ads on eBay where they used the specs of the new 2003 guitars but they sold the old ones seen by the pictures. So I just wanted to warn you.

But hey, the Lo TRS is a fine tremolo, and for the 300 bucks it is absulutely a bargain!

:DB)

yeah alex i'm not real concerned about the trem on this one.my main priority was a neck thru.i have never owned a neck thru and i always wanted one.i just can't reach those upper frets properly with a heel joint in the way.eventually i want to get the esp hanneman but it will be a while before i can afford that kind of money.this one should keep me busy till then. :D

o.k here we go.i just got it in from guitar trader and i gotta say it's the best $300 i ever spent.fit and finish is decent,better than what you might expect,but the metallic flakes in the red are a little cheesy looking.i was surprised that the pickup mounting rings are metal instead of plastic,a welcome surprise.the upper fret access is staggering,could not be better,and the tone and sustain are excellent,even though the pickups are not great(infiniti 1&2).i will replace them with emg's very soon.the balance is great and the instrument feels nicer than any of my other guitars except my sabre,and i think that may change when i break it in.o.k. alex the trs;i have to say it feels GREAT,better than my lo pro.it dives and pulls quite a bit farther and stays completely in tune.only time will tell about the knife edges but i don't mind replacing it.only thing i don't like is the HUGE volute at the headstock.it is not in the way but jeez it's big!i understand it's for strength but it might be a little bit of overkill,(like shooting a rat with a 50 cal.)the neck is very rigid(i guess because it's a 5 piece walnut and maple)and that gives it a nice solid feel.and yes dcord the binding looks great.i would have paid twice as much for this guitar and been happy,but at $300 it's a steal!

by the way i just want to pass on,guitar trader was excellent to deal with ,the service was great,the website purchase was easy,a real human being called my house to confirm the order and fix a problem(mine),and they shipped THE NEXT DAY in a well padded box.i will definately be buying from them again(i have my eye on that faded gibson v).

i understand it's for strength but it might be a little bit of overkill,(like shooting a rat with a 50 cal.)

:D Love it, you just made my day

and you should see the locals on any given saturday around here with platform swamp buggies that look like high class pontoon boats strapped to the top of Big Foot just to go fishing and hunting in that special secret spot (yeah right like nobody hears that comin) B)

you're in florida,right?i have seen it on the way to a job in west palm beach at the mall.we put up the dillards there.very humid.(yes gedward,even more so than georgia)humidity messes up my hair B) .they do the same thing in louisiana,but the locals there in general have less teeth than the ones in florida(i don't know why) :D

o.k. update on the new guitar.the more i play it the more i love it!this korean cheap guitar plays better than any of my others by a wide margin.(and that includes my japanese made sabre).surprisingly enough,i even played an rgt 3120 at a music store the other day and even it does not have the feel this guitar does.(looks better though).i will never buy another bolt on guitar.the upper fret access and superior tonal qualities have made it impossible for me to even consider it.i probably will buy the 3120 though as i love the translucent finish.i have the feeling that it will play nicely once broken in.i also tried one of the new mode 4 marshalls and it was complete metal massacre.more gain than you need with great tone to boot,but not much versatility.if you love slayer then this is THE amp,but useless for anything else,in my opinion.

oh i do have one complaint about this guitar.same one i have about all korean guitars.those people do NOT know how to wire a guitar correctly.i am going to have to rewire the whole thing.no big deal since i am going to switch to emg's anyways,but it's just a MESS inside that control cavity.cold solder joints,crossed wires,and just too much wiring in general.why don't they shorten the pickup wires instead of just bending them in half?overall though a great guitar at a great price.

o.k just got the emgs in.sounds great.infiniti pickups are just a little mushy.but alex i see the problem with the trem.it's not the bridge it's the inserts.they are VERY soft.the bridge itself appears to be hardened steel but the inserts are not.i just changed strings and when i tuned the new ones to pitch it cut a new groove higher on the stud and stuck there.i had to turn the stud in order to get it back right.i think i will get some schaller studs and inserts and see if that solves it.i love the bridge because it feels very close to an original floyd.the bar is a screw on type and it had a habit of loosening up in use but i solved that by putting masking tape around the threads to bind it up.works good.i HAVE to paint it a different color though,those metal flakes are SOOO glam rock! :D

yeah i am a natural finish kind of guy.with my schecter i took red mahogany stain and did multiple stainings to bring the grain out and it turned out pretty well.but since this guitar is a player more than a looker i thought i would just rough it up and put gloss black over the existing finish.we'll see though as i have to wait until i finish all my other projects first.i'm in the middle of about 4 as we speak.