inlay trouble

Can you define cracks better?

Cracks in the pearl?

Space between the wood and the inlay?

If there is cracks in the pearl it happened when you pressed the inlays in, and nothing with fix it.

Need more info- photos could help too.

C Lavin

If it's in an ebony neck I would take as fine as you can generate ebony dust and fill the spaces (not cracks!) with that DRY. Then take Stew-Mac liquid CA and glue in the inlay as normal, letting it fill in underneath the inlay and soak in the dust.

If it's in any other wood type (depending on how wide the gap is) either leave it, and the natural wood will show through, or you just need to rout more carefully.

If you decide to "fill" the gaps, and it's rosewood, or someting as dark, just use black. It will most likely look less obvious than trying to match the wood color type.

If you choose to leave it clear so you see the wood through the clear glue, it will make a "window" of sorts. The wood underneath wil look a little darker due to the glue, but keeping the fretboard oiled will help blend it in.

Also if using the "window" idea- take a permanent black marker and blacken the sides of your inlays before installing them, then the bright pearl (if it is) will not show the sides through the gaps making the inlays look off. It helps it look more perfect.

These ideas only work well for ebony and darker rosewood, or darker walnut.

If it's maple then you can just do it over again.. :D

Craig

You sure you want to unleash this kid with superglue?. lol.. I once had an mother of pearl inlay stuck to one finger and another one was stuck to the fretboard. That's just not fun.. lol If your careful like Clavin and work extremely fast, then you shouldn't have a problem using superglue. But for this first one, I think I'd use 15 minute Epoxy and mix it with wood dust from the same fretboard. You did save the dust when you cut your inlay recess out of the fingerboard right? Clavin gave you some great tips on getting the inlay to look good.

well yeh thats what ive been doing. using maple sawdust mixed with strong epoxy glue, and tring to fill in the cracks, and its working ok. i mean, i supose if i just go over it a few more times itll work. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing anything stupid.

The only thing that would be stupid is not trying new things.

Mistakes in all fields, or carreers are inevitable. In luthiery they just cost more.. :D

As for me when it comes to inlay advise, well, I'm just full of it.. B)

Craig

DISCLAIMER: I KNOW ABSOLUTELY LESS THAN NOTHING ABOUT INLAYS, NEVER DONE IT AND SCARED ABOUT DOING IT MYSELF

Right then now that you get the idea that I probably don't know what I'm on about, would using epoxy really be a good idea? Epoxy dries with a browny colour, wouldn't it be preferable to use a clear glue with the sawdust (like the CA glue mentiond)?

Just a thought - I'll go back to eatingmy yogurt now :D