Great Clamps!

fryovanni

thanks for the link NJD...just bought a load of tools from there but didn't spot them...soon be payday though :D

as for non-stick stuff & stopping the clamps from getting glued up....

If you're using those 4-way clamps, why not cut a groove in the centre of the blocks? The groove will always be in the centre will it not?.. & I'm sure a small 1/2" gap won't cause much of a problem with all that pressure everywhere else. Just a thought.

*edit* I guess that would only work with two boards though.

Edited by biliousfrog

thanks for the link NJD...just bought a load of tools from there but didn't spot them...soon be payday though :D

If you're using those 4-way clamps, why not cut a groove in the centre of the blocks? The groove will always be in the centre will it not?.. & I'm sure a small 1/2" gap won't cause much of a problem with all that pressure everywhere else. Just a thought.

Because if you're gluing wood-to-wood with titebond or similar, and the clamp rails are made of wood, unless you put something like packing tape or plastic on them, the wood clamps will be glued to the wood workpiece. Dimensions/grooves wouldn't make a difference.

Because if you're gluing wood-to-wood with titebond or similar, and the clamp rails are made of wood, unless you put something like packing tape or plastic on them, the wood clamps will be glued to the wood workpiece. Dimensions/grooves wouldn't make a difference.

exactly!...if the join is in the centre & the clamps have a groove in the centre running along the glue line then they won't make contact with the join or any glue :D

exactly!...if the join is in the centre & the clamps have a groove in the centre running along the glue line then they won't make contact with the join or any glue :D

Look at this picture:

DSCF0443.JPG

You can't run the glue line along the clamps - the clamps wouldn't put pressure on the joint holding it together that way. You method just won't work.

I haven't explained myself very well obviously. I've drawn a diagram but as images can't be uploaded here I'm trying to sort out a place to host it....I'll be back!

ok, if thise has worked you should be able to see what I mean.... clampsgq6.th.jpg

The red line shows the glue line...the blue parts are the grooves cut along the glue line so that the clamps aren't in contact with any glue

I haven't explained myself very well obviously. I've drawn a diagram but as images can't be uploaded here I'm trying to sort out a place to host it....I'll be back!

ok, if thise has worked you should be able to see what I mean....

The red line shows the glue line...the blue parts are the grooves cut along the glue line so that the clamps aren't in contact with any glue

Would possibly work, but then the groove would only be in the right place for that one time, and every time you glued wood of different widths you'd have to cut another groove or make new bars. Seems way more complicated than just putting a couple of layers of parcel tape down, or gluing on a set of plastic covers....

Sorry, I totally forgot the point of my last post. When using sash cramps, I clamp across the two boards and use four flat cauls to make sure the boards glue evenly side to side without sliding. A bit of greaseproof works nicely there :-D

If silicone is a problem with greaseproof under the cauls, the plane soon removes it!