Angled Headstock?

Buck Radius

• 4 weeks later...

Probably be doing a scarf later today and just been looking around for which way I wanted to do this one and will probably go miter cut plane clean. I was thinking about the hand saw, but wanted to try the miter on this one, my neck blank ended up giving me three blanks, 4 if I add some beef to the heel on the last one.

Anyhow I saw this nifty little jig Taper Jig. I remember a jig setup that worked similar, but honestly for the price this will take some time off building the jig and will give it adjustability. It maxs out at 15 degrees but this will let you adjust to what you like under that. In order to use this I believe you would need to add a wood edge where the blade can cut into, like the jig I saw, but again I think this would make building the jig much easier, more precise, and adjustable. Just saw this, so haven't worked out everything in my head to see if it would work for the scarf angle cut, but I think so.

This is the jig I was talking about Scarf Jig

There are many ways, but for people that like that jig or table saws, that taper jig might make things easier.

Edited by jmrentis

I have a design for a jig that is very similar to that. Mine would max out at 30 deg. and be taller to give better contact against the fences to give a more accurate cut. I will post picks once I build it, but that is a few months away still. With a good blade though, I should only need to do minimal sanding or planing.

I have a design for a jig that is very similar to that. Mine would max out at 30 deg. and be taller to give better contact against the fences to give a more accurate cut. I will post picks once I build it, but that is a few months away still. With a good blade though, I should only need to do minimal sanding or planing.

I can't wait to see it! It will be good that it will be more accurate because as you said that saves on clean up time. For that little taper jig, I came up with this as a rough design for a jig. Note: Those are two views of the setup with lines connecting the same pieces. I know looks confusing.

Headstockanglejig.jpg

No exact measurements as I would need it all in front of me. The gap I left in the fence was made in order to allow the angle to change without having problems, as in the link I posted of the other scarf jig, the fence is just cut into, but this one would be adjustable so that wouldn't work. Again, this was just a rough idea, I figured make it super simple, like use 2x4s for the wood edge one laying down to give distance from the metal taper jig and one standing up for a little height in the fence for support. I think the gap wouldn't cause any problems either, it would obviously be a lot smaller than in the picture and the neck blank is clamped in place to steady it. I just figured that jig was on sale for $14.99, so with a few 2x4s or whatever, it would be a cheap jig, especially if you had nothing else and didn't like hand tools. Plus, I'm sure I could find some other uses for that taper jig.

Please do get me some pics of your upcoming jig, maybe even create a tutorial if you feel like it, I know that would be helpful to many people that don't have the equipment or are intimidated cutting a scarf. Can't wait to see it sounds like it will be good stuff, keep me posted! Jason

Edited by jmrentis

Mine looks basically the same as yours. The only difference really is the connecting link arm. Mine is a straight arm the pivots and I took the time to draw out a scale for it to move it in 1 degree increments. Other than that it is the same. It is a super simple design. But at the same time will be very versatile. I am thinking about making it that I can mounting it to a shooting board for smoothing the angle with a hand plane.

Mine looks basically the same as yours. The only difference really is the connecting link arm. Mine is a straight arm the pivots and I took the time to draw out a scale for it to move it in 1 degree increments. Other than that it is the same. It is a super simple design. But at the same time will be very versatile. I am thinking about making it that I can mounting it to a shooting board for smoothing the angle with a hand plane.

I'm glad that you actually have planned it out. When I saw that taper jig at Rockler on sale, my brain just started grinding on how it could be used. Knowing me it would have remained just an idea for a while before ever putting into action, plus I would have probably just made it suitable to use, not nice or anything, so again I'm glad that you are actually planning it all out well and I can't wait to see it in action. I'm quite sure there are a number of other things it can be used for both for guitars and other things. Keep me posted on the progress of the jig! Good luck. Jason

here is my version

HERE

Yeah whatever, I'd much rather spend hours building a jig and doing one joint than making 20 necks(insert sour grapes here). Excellent stuff for sure, great info and ideas. I'll have my planer soon enough, so that will probably be my new method, although I've had some fun with hands saws and planes, probably will use both methods depending on what I am feeling. I've got physical problems so using too much hand tools can be bothersome which is easily fixed by your method. It's amazing how many ideas you have that I haven't been mentioned before. Thanks for the great idea/method Perry. :D