Position Tuner Holes In Headstock

Is it 6 a side or 3x3 layout? I assume you have a template the shape of the headstock made up. Then you mark you string spacing at the nut and position your tuners so you have clearance for each each string past each tuner. If you have an odd shape headstock then the distance from the edge may vary.

The golden rule for successful guitar building is to make templates for all parts by drawing everything full size so you know precisely it all works before you cut any wood or drill any holes. It also makes it much simpler in your mind how it all fits together.

Is it 6 a side or 3x3 layout? I assume you have a template the shape of the headstock made up. Then you mark you string spacing at the nut and position your tuners so you have clearance for each each string past each tuner. If you have an odd shape headstock then the distance from the edge may vary.

The golden rule for successful guitar building is to make templates for all parts by drawing everything full size so you know precisely it all works before you cut any wood or drill any holes. It also makes it much simpler in your mind how it all fits together.

yeah done that

stuck a printout of the drawing onto some mdf

will cut it out with a bandsaw and true it up on the drum sander

its a 3x3 pretty close to les paul stock but not quite

thanks

A big ol' +1 on that! I work out mine using CAD by running strings over their nut positions straight over the headstock template, and aligning the tuners (taking into account string widthand half the tuner post width) along the headstock that way, perhaps with a little design refinement necessary. This is going down the avenue of straight string pull however, as a 3x3 LP headstock branches off to the sides. This is a good example of the result:

mockingbird8_1.jpg

As mentioned previously, it's generally a better idea to mark out the distances from the side of the headstock if you are using an existing design so the tuners don't foul the headstock or each other.

Edited by Prostheta