Cool 1 Hum Design

This is a design idea I have been working on for some time now...thought I'd share. :D The model is the Parable "prophet". It's the main shape that I build. The added twist is a 3D radioactive symbol. I'm running these on the CNC, then hand carving the tops. It's the best of both worlds IMHO. I'm a Stryper fan from way back...so I couldnt resist. :D When it's finished, the edges of the design wil taper to meet the recessed areas. And of course, it will be painted yellow & black.

Specs:

Parable "Nuclear Prophet"

Alder 3D body w/ yellow & black paint

Single hum EMG81

recessed TOM Bridge

Strat style maple BO neck w/ Ziricote board

12th fret "nuke" yellow pearlessence & ebony symbol inlay

black hardware

Gohtoh tuners

This will most likely be a 12 piece run. I ran 2 today to work out the bugs before I run the rest. Part of them run will be "distressed". And part will go to Mike Learn (possibly) for some custom airbrush.

Here is a youtube link of the design in ArtCAM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBokjWteQGE

ptnuke1.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is their enough clearance between the adjustment screws of the TOM and the side of recess? I imagine there is, just looks a tad tight.

Hows the hum going to be mounted?

How are the strings going to be fastened down? Ferrules following the curve of the raised circle would look pretty cool.

Awesom design though, cant wait to see it :D

Edited by Neil Beith

damn it man would you quit it.

you have a way of making some of the cheesiest designs cool

like the flamed inlay you did i have seen dozens of guitars with flames and thought all of them lame then you built that one now this.

next your gonna figure out a way to do a skull and crossbones and make it cool.

what i mean by all that is nice work real nice.

Thanks guys :D I'm really not a skull kinda person...so I doubt I'll do any of those. I've always been a fan of the old school "stylized" flames though. Just something about them. I used to do custom paint & pinstripe work back in the 90's. I guess I did enough flame jobs to get hooked on them.

This nuke design is one that I pitched to the Jackson CS a while back....but they didnt bite on it. I was kind of surprised actually. I've done some design work, and a few mirror tops for them as well as some FB inlay. I desighned & cut a 12 piece inlay run that is suppose to hang at the winter NAMM show. They inlaid them there...we'll see if they get them done in time.

Anyway, here is an updated pic. I did a little carving tonight. There is still a lot of carving to do, but this shows a little better how the finished piece will look.

ptnuke2.jpg

I think that looks Like Burn marks from the CNC maybe

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I think the finish would look best if you make it "dirtier" than just plain yellow and black paint. Perhaps dyes. And have the side dots on the neck be clear plastic with radioluminescent paint underneath(something with a fairly long half life, but too low of energy or quantity to pass through the plastic dots, such as Pm-147 or H-3). I think H-3 would probably be best, because it lasts a long time and is less radioactive. No idea where you'd get radioluminescent paint these days, but it's just an idea.

Edited by Keegan

How bout a paint based on U-235? :D

Keegan has a good point though, it would look pretty cool with a dirty "war torn" nuclear finish.

Something like this, http://cruof5.com/images/radioactive%20sign.jpg

That's just what I think when I see that body.

Anyways, nice build, good call on having the ferruls on the raised bit. Should look great.

Edited by ae3

Well, I'm glad to see that The relic idea is unanimous one :D Like I said in the first post, part of this run will be "distressed", and part will be clean. One may even be a 2 color mirror top. Actually, the distressed ones will look more like they have been through a war. They will have some dents & primer showing, some airbrushed rust, and possibly some neon green radioactive material "leaking" from under the vol knob, bridge & pup. I was even thinking of changing the pickup to a yellow & black Dimarzio D-Activator X DP222. I would cover it with one of these plastic covers:

PC_0303-023-254.jpg

The cover will have large sections burned away, exposing the pickup underneath.

This will be the first batch run Ive ever done. I already have 2 spoken for. The one in this post is a prototype to work out the bugs. The actual batch pieces will be set a neck that is painted. To speed things up, I changed the neck on the prototype to a strat style bolt on neck. It will still have the 12th fret inlay. I should have updated pre-paint pics tomorrow.

why not try and get a hold of a sand blaster (any local university with a ceramics dept. would have one) it would give you better results IMO

Thats not a bad idea. I was going to try a blow torch first. I'm afraid it may leave the surface too rough on the edge of the melted parts. I'm going to have to "dirty up" the actual pickup where it shows as well. If I use a sand blaster, I could go back over the rough spots on the pup with some thinned out black paint....That may work good. :D