More Compressor And Paint ?s

Hedley

I am planning on buying some spraying equipment to finish guitars, I would like to spray polyurethane clear coats, I would like to get a compressor in the $400 range, I dont want to spend more than $150 on a spray gun. This equipment will only be used to paint guitars, no cars or anything like that.

My ?s are:

1. Are HVLP guns good for laying down poly clear coats, base coats and primers? What type gun(touch up gun?) and size tip do i need?

2. What is a good brand poly to use for guitars to produce a ultra high gloss? House of kolors, kustom shop, PPG, etc.?

3. Can anyone recommend a decent compressor in my price range that would be good for painting guitars, must run on 110 voltage?

I have experience airbrushing but none with the big guns.

Edited by Hedley

you can get a hvlp at harbor frieght for about 50 bucks. they work fine the finish is a little rough but if you plan on sanding and buffing it when your done then it will all work out any way. just find a compressor that meets or exceeds the needs of your gun and anything else your gonna be using. but be sure to price in a good drier and regulator in to those funds.

I am planning on buying some spraying equipment to finish guitars, I would like to spray polyurethane clear coats, I would like to get a compressor in the $400 range, I dont want to spend more than $150 on a spray gun. This equipment will only be used to paint guitars, no cars or anything like that.

My ?s are:

1. Are HVLP guns good for laying down poly clear coats, base coats and primers? What type gun(touch up gun?) and size tip do i need?

2. What is a good brand poly to use for guitars to produce a ultra high gloss? House of kolors, kustom shop, PPG, etc.?

3. Can anyone recommend a decent compressor in my price range that would be good for painting guitars, must run on 110 voltage?

I have experience airbrushing but none with the big guns.

HVLP's are good for everything. Most guns come with tips specific for solvent paint use. I suggest you get a good gun if you are serious and like the Job done with the least amount of fuss. Finex is a good brand and is cheap.

As for a compressor a good 120V unit is a hard one. I always suggest people find a non oiless unit (a motor and belt uses oil). They are quieter and put out more air and last longer. If you are serious look to see if you can add a 220 outlet in your house rather than settle, Your money outlay is certainly in the proper range for a 60 gallon unit if you shop wisely. If you cant do a 220V unit try looking on Craig's list and see what comes up. I saw a 7HP 120V craftsman a few weeks ago with a 60 gallon tank,but it was oiless. priced under $150. You can live with the noise for that price.

As was just mentioned in a recent post you only need a touch up gun with a small cup, that will also save you money. Guns also come with different air requirements so shop wisely. Gravity feed gun is suggested..

Thanks guys! I will prob go with the H.O.K. and kustom shop. I already have the regulator and water traps for compressor, I have have a smaller compressor i used for airbrushing. I will definitely be sanding and buffing my finishes. I have awhile to decide on gun yet, just planning it out. Thx again :D

Drak has reported good results with cheap guns such as the Cambell Hausfield's. The Harbor Freight guns are not bad for the money. I picked up a Finex 1000 and love it. Reasonable price, mini HVLP gun, so the benefits of HVLP with less air required. You don't need much more that a 4 or 8 oz cup for a guitar. Remember to compare the CFM requirements, HVLP usually takes a lot more air than a hobbyist compressor can generate. That is where the mini-guns fit nicely. No overly large cup to deal with and they use significantly less air.

I've used PPG Shopline with good results. Sands and polishes easily and gets a really nice finish. I'm trying HOK next. The biggest thing is take the time to adjust your gun to shoot the paint as best as it can. Find a product and stick with it. The more you use it the better you get with it and you can really fine tune your mix ratios and gun settings.