Citron Pickups On The Bay

Our Souls inc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Citron-Bass-guitar-Pickups-Custom-Built-Humbuckers-/270687236813?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f063772cd

I was looking for bass pickups today and came across these.

What are your thoughts on them?

I'd love to pull the trigger on em, but funds are just slightly too tight right now.

Maybe as an upgrade later......

The basses he builds sell for 2500 dollars on average. Self wound boutique pups are easily worth $300 for a pair of them.

I thought it was a great price myself, for what they are.

Hes been winding pups for decades and can claim EVH as a former client.

Heck, $300 might be a steal , I'd love to hear them .

$300.00 isn't so bad for a pair of new pickups but I never heard of these pickups before.

I don't beleive he's ever made them available by themselves before..

and to clarify, I don't know him personally. I just saw him on eBay and since he has a "0" rating, I figure he's new at selling them sans guitar.

I want to hear them or hear from someone who has. He uses different gauge wire on the same coil! Thats gotta be a well balanced tone.

He uses different gauge wire on the same coil! Thats gotta be a well balanced tone.

Not necessary. First came the "I use a very special NOS wire never ever available" arguments from various boutique winders, then came the patented DiMarzio "two different wires, one for each coil in a HB" arrangement and now "I use two different gauges of wire for th same coil". Its rather spelled out "hype".

To me it looks like finely crafted blade humbuckers with steel cores and Alnico magnets. Might sound marvelous, but there is a tad to much of "there is so much mojo and magic in pickup making" in his ad that contributes to the on line hype of small pickup makers.

Disclaimer: I have no first hand experience of this product and they might as well be the holy grail of bass pickups.

He uses different gauge wire on the same coil! Thats gotta be a well balanced tone.

Not necessary. First came the "I use a very special NOS wire never ever available" arguments from various boutique winders, then came the patented DiMarzio "two different wires, one for each coil in a HB" arrangement and now "I use two different gauges of wire for th same coil". Its rather spelled out "hype".

To me it looks like finely crafted blade humbuckers with steel cores and Alnico magnets. Might sound marvelous, but there is a tad to much of "there is so much mojo and magic in pickup making" in his ad that contributes to the on line hype of small pickup makers.

Disclaimer: I have no first hand experience of this product and they might as well be the holy grail of bass pickups.

I thought the same thing, but I just can't see someone using different gauges on the same coil just to hype it up. I could see *saying* that you do it, without doing it, but it just seems like a lot of work to go through for "hype" . I'll do a review of them if I ever get my hands on a set. worst case scenario, I'm out $300 but we all know that they weren't worth it in the future. Best case scenario, i found a new brand of bass pup that delivers the goods. I guess only time will tell. .... cuz none o' y'all seem to be !! :D