Archtop 02

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think about the binding on the front half ?

It's slicker that greeen owl sh1t. What is that binding and does it just disappear?

I can't wait to see what you've got cooked up for the center section.

SR

Scotta, the binding just stops , where it stops is where the body is rolled into the top. The binding is three ply wood, maple then two strips of wood I don't know the name of..Well back to work ,and thanks for your input.

• 4 weeks later...

You've managed something quite out of the ordinary here which I can only applaud. That knot and the open glue joints have me umming and ahhing though. I don't know how structural those will end up being, however they will certainly "do something" when the instrument is under strung tension. What's the objective with the scrolled L-shape affair under the tailpiece? I'm left a little confused here although I am sure you will resolve this soon enough!

You've managed something quite out of the ordinary here which I can only applaud. That knot and the open glue joints have me umming and ahhing though. I don't know how structural those will end up being, however they will certainly "do something" when the instrument is under strung tension. What's the objective with the scrolled L-shape affair under the tailpiece? I'm left a little confused here although I am sure you will resolve this soon enough!

Pros, that is not really a open glue joint....the spruce extends into the mahongany and the knot does not go all the way thru...but we shall see.hahaha the carving at the bottom is art and to help with the tail piece.The spring area will set on top of it for support .There are some support things going on under the top,too.Hope that helps .

Deano sees things that the rest of us mere mortals cannot. I too am fascinated by where this is going. Nice piece of carving there, by the way.

Finish this thing already! The anticipation of the final product is killing me.

SR

Scotttta, I am going as fast as I can....there is a lot of work going on with this thing.hahaha Thanks for the words of support.This guitar is kinda spoken for and my next one is sold ,too I think.

Well, my bass idea seems to have worked....on the low side ,the back is carved flat like a standard guitar.The high side is carved ,back and front .Right now I have 12's on it and am still dialing it in.It's a little stiff ,but starting to warm up.There are no side braces ,as the top is blended into the sides.The bridge is or carved in a stacked shape ,putting forse on the top and center.The top was forced about a quarter inch on the neck end when attaching it to the sides ,putting more tension on it.everthing feels really tight and light.The tail piece gives a nice vabroato and stays in tune.Now I will take it apart and finish it up.

I really like the back carve, but it never occurred to me that it was anything other than artistic. Cool concept.

SR

Scotta, yep there are a few things going on , there is also a bit of a cut away on the low end .It lays into your body better.No side braces keep the inside clean.I beat up the wood pretty good when putting it together ,helps me know there will be no problems later with glue joints and such.I stress the wood all along the way , pushing ,bending , clamping ,forcing it into place kinda thing.Then I jam a blade or something into a nuckle to apice the wood gods.hahahaha No creaking or cracking when stringing it up and it fell into tune really nice.The whammy works really good ,too well that's all I can think of right now.

Oh, one more thing ,no edge to cut into your arm when playing .

• 3 weeks later...

This guitar has a great acoustic sound and the whamy bar works fine .

Archtop02020_zps9400be23.jpg

Archtop02009_zpsa160fe68.jpg

Hope you like this build ,it is done.....I might build a pic guard pickup later.This has enough volumn as is,anyway here it is I will call it hobo for now.hahaha