Ibanez RG, my 2nd build

Yeah, that eye. I am afraid it will be lost, some contours must be done. I was planning a drop top and a belly cut. Not fully carved as my previous Sabre style. If I don't mess up it will be clear coated!

I still like the neck heel, that is redy for a bolt-on, but I feel it would be better with a neck-through-like transition. That with soft pine is not an easy task.

I have to let it hang for some days, I have a bad cold and it is freezing in the workshop.

I did my best not to chip out. This wood chips just by touching the outlines, I sand the edges right after routing to prevent a splinter being caught by my shirt.

Now all I did since are two bridge holes. I bought one very nice Gibraltar Plus in cosmo black and one wraparound in satin nickel. Lovely. Early christmas. The stud line is not slanted so I can choose which one I use depending on what tuners I can get, but I incline to the nickel one.

P1460087.JPG

P1460088.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The controls should be minimalistic, so a tele cavity is just fine. This time drilling the jack recess went well. But I messed up the cable channel from the neck pickup, too shallow angle and the drill bit showed through the top. Silly me. I glued one big chip back and filled the rest. It is just not under the volume knob, it will be visible. Then I rough carved the body to neck joint. Is the shape OK to your eyes? Or should I round the corner below the upper horn? I will refine it after the neck is glued in, but rough shaping is better done separetly.

P1460483.JPGP1460484.JPGP1460480.JPGP1460485.JPGP1460486.JPGP1460487.JPGP1460488.JPG

• Like 1

Tried to patch that drill bit run out. It is not perfect, but not as disturbing. P1460539.JPG

I added a little belly carve only to be more comfortable on my ribs when sitting.P1460546.JPG

I strung it up without pickups, it sounds so alive, going to love it. Now comes the long sanding. Still hesitating whether to put on OSMO Hartwachsöl or wipe on nitro. The oil is more natural, but has no UV filter, so the pine will turn dark after time.

• 2 weeks later...

So this baritone is finished. I applied Hartwachsöl with a brush, wich left deep streaks. I sanded most of it down and applied next three light coats with a cloth. Should have used a cloth from the start. It takes a day for one light coat to dry in a warm room. That pine is still soft under that wax, so I made a few dings when installing hardware. Luckily they let me burnish them down so they are lost in other little imperfections. On those mahoganies on the neck the wax is awsome.

I thought I am good at soldering electronics, but this one was hard. New japanese pot was randomly cutting the signal, it took time to find it is the new pot and not other reused components. I always loose my patience. But it is done now.

P1460565.JPG

P1460568.JPG

P1460573.JPG

P1460574.JPG

P1460577.JPG

P1460581.JPG

P1460583.JPG

P1460582.JPG

P1460570.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice words.

Well, my birch tele got nicknamed IKEA, though it was not made of little blocks as their kitchen tops are.

This pine sounds great, has some nasal mid scoop and hump wich makes it speak. The bridge P90 is a bit too trebly and weak, neck is a monster.

I do not want to cut the pickup leads, and they are long. If they stay firmly in the cavity and do not short any contacts, i keep it without cover. I like it that way, though my wiring it is a bit mess. Maybe a sunken cover on some posts, as I will not be willing to add the recess.

• 11 months later...