Guitar Of The Month - April 2015

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for all members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites from each other's builds. The contest is open entry for any and all members. The winner(s) receive a featured article placement at the top of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, default site background wallpaper and privileged member perks across the site (plus a shiny member badge in the forums!). The main ProjectGuitar.com site sees thousands of unique visitors from around the Internet so show off your work for the world to see!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting opens. Polls close at the tick of midnight on the 1st of each month.

!!NEW!! Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry in a month really hits it out of the park!

Tips and Guidelines

• Post a maximum of four eight of your best photos for each guitar entered.
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise one will be given to it. :)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your background as a builder helps give context to your build. Knowing whose build is a "first-timer" and those of highly experienced builders can change a voter's mind in the contest. Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec? What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen? Any background on what makes it special, etc. Tell us more about the instrument!
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by seasoned builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread tend to attract more votes from the general community.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you are unable to link/post photographs or have any other questions about the GOTM contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch! In general it is recommended to upload your photos into ProjectGuitar.com Gallery and inserting them using the "My Media" button in the post editor.

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:croudwaits

Here is "The Father/Daughter guitar" built by my daughter with a helping hand from me. An alto guitar with a nice story behind it. A very rudimentary build thread can be found

This is a scaled down version of my EvenStar acoustic guitar. It is based around the work of Kasha/Schneider and uses an adaptation of their bracing pattern and a somewhat more "normal" bridge. The back and side wood is Bloodwood, the top is Sitka Spruce, the neck maple and the fretboard, bridge and sound hole ring is all bloodwood. Bindings, end graft and heel cap is red sparkling celluloid. The scale is almost exactly 21" (actually just a 25" scale chopped of at the third fret). The guitar is finished in tung oil and rubbed down with steel wool to create a matte satin sheen.

Feel fre to ask any questions in

The pictures:

gallery_3898_130_702992.jpg

gallery_3898_130_2761891.jpg

gallery_3898_130_2149405.jpg

gallery_3898_130_2282738.jpg

gallery_3898_130_3332122.jpg

gallery_3898_130_4063971.jpg

gallery_3898_130_1069658.jpg

gallery_3898_130_1133500.jpg

Kades "Space Scene" SS6.

I had a customer ask me to do a small spaceman inlay on the 12th fret. I said that it'd be no problem, however I asked why he wanted a spaceman and if there was any meaning to it (so I could get it right, make it personal to him), he said he had an interest in all things space related and sent me pics of his tattooed arm sleeves which were covered in space related scenery, so I then suggested he go all out on the board and match the inlay to his sleeves in theme and he loved the idea. The "Space Scene" was born.

======================================================================

There is just under 200 planet inlays on this board, approx 150 of them being the small stars.

The fingerboard inlay materials include: Rosewood, Cocobolo, Bocote, Black Limba, Paua shell, Black Mother of Pearl, Gold mother of Pearl, Abalone, White Mother of Pearl, Malachite, Brass & plastic.

Guitar specs:

SS6 - Flat top body with oil finish:

African Walnut top, Flamed Maple center over African Mahogany with Rosewood stringers and Ash back.
Maple neck with Cameroon Ebony fingerboard

Floyd Rose with Fatblock upgrade, Grover tuners & Straplock system
Bareknuckle Pickups - Aftermath

16" radius
24 frets using dunlop 6150 fretwire
26.125" scale

Stainless steel truss rod
2x Carbon fiber neck rods

IMG_0320small.jpg

IMG_0341small.jpg

IMG_0329small.jpg

IMG_0259small.jpg

IMG_0283small.jpg

IMG_0347small.jpg

IMG_0286small.jpg

Cherry Bomb

Body: Queensland Maple 2 piece

Neck: Rock Maple

Fretboard: Rosewood

Scale: 650 mm

Radius: 12 inch

Frets: 23

Bridge pickup: Woosung Chorus (WSC) hexbucker

Neck pickup: Pure-Tone Scorpion

Pots: CTS

Switch: 3 way

Bridge: Harmonica bridge, made in Japan

Backstop: generic tune-o-matic stop

Machine heads: Gotoh

You can see the build thread at

I am a hobby builder and this is my third complete build, I like using hand tools as much as possible, I like the peace and quite of working that way. The plans started out as a tracing of my friends Destroyer body that he bought on ebay. I drew all the plans from there on using a longer scale.

34GQGpP.jpg

The 80's Destroyers had a harmonica bridge, so I decided to use one on this build. I made my own mitre box to cut the fret slots.

5FNOUCS.jpg

The guitar was built in my basement (for the noisy parts) and in the back garden under a sun shade on a little fold out work table with a piece of mdf on the top.

x8QXptr.jpg

This was the first lean back headstock that I have made and my first go at a scarf joint. I made a jig to cut the scarf joint at the right angle.

SeMZuRw.jpg

This guitar was built for me to play, I have always loved the 1980's red Destroyers (I am a big Iron Maiden fan) but I wished that they had been made with wood grain showing rather than a solid paint cover, so decided to give that idea a go, with Cherry Red stain from Stew Mac.

97izGaj.jpg

The headstock is obviously modelled on the Ibanez design, I drew the modified shape longer and with a slightly different curve and made the template for my first full build and used the template again in this one.

aIahKOw.jpg

The finish is Rustins Plastic Coating, the same stuff that is on Brian May's Red Special.

R0kKYPl.jpg

I used long neck pots so that I could leave more wood on top of the control cavity, the 3 way switch is counter sunk in.

saJgyyc.jpg

You can see and hear the guitar getting played in this video