Need wiring help - two guitars in one

Neven

Hi all,

I'm building a guitar for a friend, and I'd need a bit of help with wiring diagram.

Electronics are my weak side, I can solder when I have a diagram, but when it comes to mods, I can't say I know what I'm doing :)

Basically, I'm building him a lefty tele with 2 P90 and a Les Paul wiring by Mike McQuain

tele_zpsdnnqvlsr.jpg

P90%20LP%20Wiring_zpsmei112qu.jpg

Now comes the catch... He wants a humbucker on bridge position, and one on/on switch that would be used to switch from LP wiring to a single hum wiring.

Just like having two independent wirings in a double-neck guitar, connected to a single jack. And you use mini switch to choose whitch one you're gonna play.

Currently, he wants his humbucker wired directly to jack, without any pots, BUT I'm trying to convince him to take one volume from LP wiring and use it for this hum.

I hope I explained well enough to understand...

If there's anyone willing to sketch us a diagram, or hopefully both of them (one without pots, and one with volume but would need to remove it first from LP scheme)... We'd be grateful, and I promise build pics on my thread :)

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Neven

You're actually most of the way there by using the Passing Lane mod. The Passing Lane switch is used to 'steer' two signals - one from the bridge pickup and one to the output. With the switch in position 1 the bridge pickup signal gets connected to the 5-way selector and the output is picked up from the volume pot. With the switch the other way the bridge pickup signal and output from the volume pot gets interrupted and the two signals connected direct to each other.

Incorporating the Passing Lane switch into your scheme would be something like:

• Disconnect bridge pickup black wire from bridge volume pot.
  • Passing Lane switch blue wire to bridge pickup black wire.
  • PL switch purple wire to bridge volume pot top lug
  • Disconnect output jack hot black wire from treble tone control
  • PL switch red wire to treble tone control bottom lug
  • PL switch green wire to output jack hot black wire

If you want to add the bridge volume pot to the PL switch just move the break to between the volume pot middle lug and pickup selector switch, and insert the PL switch blue and purple wires in the gap.

On 12/14/2015 at 9:22 AM, curtisa said:

You're actually most of the way there by using the Passing Lane mod. The Passing Lane switch is used to 'steer' two signals - one from the bridge pickup and one to the output. With the switch in position 1 the bridge pickup signal gets connected to the 5-way selector and the output is picked up from the volume pot. With the switch the other way the bridge pickup signal and output from the volume pot gets interrupted and the two signals connected direct to each other.

Incorporating the Passing Lane switch into your scheme would be something like:

• Disconnect bridge pickup black wire from bridge volume pot.
  • Passing Lane switch blue wire to bridge pickup black wire.
  • PL switch purple wire to bridge volume pot top lug
  • Disconnect output jack hot black wire from treble tone control
  • PL switch red wire to treble tone control bottom lug
  • PL switch green wire to output jack hot black wire

If you want to add the bridge volume pot to the PL switch just move the break to between the volume pot middle lug and pickup selector switch, and insert the PL switch blue and purple wires in the gap.

I got confused a bit, sorry...

If you don't mind helping me a bit more, I'd like to understand what we're doing here, so I'll go baby steps here.

I started drawing a diagram, and I drew only bridge pickup circuit, without anything else.

Could you check for me is this correct to start with, so I can continue adding the rest to the drawing.

Do I need to ground DPDT switch somewhere also?

Thanks for helping :)

goran%20tele%20wiring_zpsxdhpq5mq.jpg

Edited by Neven

OK, I missed that you effectively wanted two independent bridge pickups.

Are the two P90s only controlled by the standard 3-way toggle?

Is the bridge humbucker only active when the mini toggle is on? I assume it does not form part of the 3-way pickup selector under any circumstances.

Move the blue wire from the centre-left pin of the mini toggle to the centre-right pin and you'll at least get that section working.

• Like 1

Hi guys.  

This particular guitar is for me and wiring Neven talking about is my requirement,  so I guess I can explain the best what I really want. 

To make long story short, for most of my playing I need two single (p90, that is) pickups with standard 3 way switching and few volume and tone pots,  just like on p90 LP or telecaster, but I would like to have it with some cool features like treble and bass cut pots in place of standard tone pots,  which is  why I opted for Mcquain wiring Neven provided above. That one will fulfil my needs, I am pretty much covered with it considering music I play, apart for "rock style" leads which also make important part of my performances. 

In order to deal with that, I decided to have standard humbucker in the bridge position which DO NOT interfere with two p90 wiring. I do not want to make things even more messy  by making humbucker part of the wiring. All I really want is to have dpdt switch that brings humbucker on and shut off whatever is dealt before with p90 wiring. 

That way I can instantly go from bluesy -  pop comping  to full blast distorted solo with a flick from a switch,  which is exactly what music I play dictate. 

And of course, come back to what I dealt before by switching humbucker off. 

Only thing I am not quite sure is should I go with  volume pot dedicated for this humbucker or not. I am open for suggestions about this one. 

Thanks guys again  for having eye on this thread,  I appreciate it so much! 

Hi Göran! Nice ideas and it's great that you have defined needs. A lot of guitars are far too same-same simply because the players haven't thought about making them more useful.

Another option might be to run a stereo cable and have some modified version of the "Rick-O-Sound" on (I think) 4003 basses. That allows a "normal" circuit plus a separate signal for each pickup. That might allow some of the switching to be done outboard via pedals or whatever. This might simply be complicating the ideas, however it provides alternative options I guess.

• Like 2

This will give you the P90s via the 3-way with the bridge humbucker as the bypass option. The humbucker does not have a volume when bypassing the P90s.

5673bf603d646_P90HumbuckerWiring.thumb.j

I don't know what your P90 wiring codes are so you'll have to sort that out yourself, and I assume the wiring colours for the humbucker matches the pickup you're installing

• Like 2

Love you guys!!!

Can't wait to finish my part (woodwoorking) so we can start assembling this thing :)

I like Goran's way of thinking, so I'm really interested in how it's gonna turn out.

He changed so many guitars and tried a lot of pickups in them, so we're hoping he'll settle with this one (knowing him, at least for a while :) )

Great help, as usual :peace