Regius meets RG: first build in progress

• 2 weeks later...

I would like some advice on health/safety. So after my first routing experience, I made the mistake of taking my dust mask off after the work was done, but before clean up. Stupid in hindsight, as dust gets stirred up during clean up. I had a bit of a cough for a week or so after that, and it subsided.

Today I used sanding drums with 120 grit paper to get close to the template line on a piece of yellow poplar. I've build a sanding table for my drill press to which I can attach the vacuum cleaner. It takes away a lot of the dust. Also I have a fan running with a hepa filter near by and I worked outside on my balcony. Afterwards I left the area for an hour before I came back for clean up so air could be refreshed. I took a stroll outside to the supermarket.

I wear a tight fitting halve face mask (Moldex 7002) with P3 filters. And still, after working...the cough comes back. It's like a dry sort of cough and it feels like there's something floating around in my windpipe (difficult to describe). P100 filters just came in through the mail, but I doubt the difference between P3 (99.95%) and P100 (99.97%) is going to make a big difference....but that could be ignorance speaking.

Suggestions for better protection?

Edited by Rockhorst

Hmm that's strange! I never get a cough and very rarely were a dust mask, the dust masks just don't do much for me with the big beard. 

I don't know if it's possible to be allergic to poplar? But maybe that could be it?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found the time (and conditions) to do some work on this. Someone suggested practicing on a piece of yellow poplar, as it's cheaper but similar to alder. Quite liking the wood I have to say. I rough cut the body with a jig saw, sanded to within 2 mm of the template and made a successful pass around the body. Flipped it around and also did the other side. Sanded the sides of the guitar to get smooth curves (the template was a bit segmented).

front_routed_zpszsm5pnxr.jpg

So far so good. I proceeded with a 1/2" roundover on the back.

back_roundover_zps1b1xnp04.jpg

I was using some cut off pieces for router support, but they were working against me  a bit, so I foolishly decided to work without them. Went ok, except for the horns. Really should have supported the router base better in those spots, as this is a bit of a pity:

horn_screwup02_zpslfdqmpu4.jpg

horn_screwup01_zpspxp95dsj.jpg

I'm hoping to be able to blend this in by hand, any suggestions on that? Also will take some time to contemplate on this issue before I attempt routing a binding channel on the front. This kind of a mistake would be a real problem there.

For future reference, it's a good idea to keep the scrap pieces bandsawn from the body as a way of providing additional stability for your router base. Obviously, don't let the cutter hit them. Ask me how I know this.

If your router base has a way of attaching scrap as a leveller, do that.

• Like 1

Poplar is fine wood. Soft and easy to work, but in my opinion better than Basswood. The only downside that I can remember with it is the mineral content in that it tends to suck them up into the wood, meaning your tools take a beating. I might be thinking of Aspen.

Aspen smells like olives boiled in cat piss when you cut it.

Rockhorst I use double-sided tape to tape scrap wood to one side of the router base and that gives me a lot of stability. For the horns where they're more tricky, I like to find some scrap that can fit in between the horns with about 10mm clearance between the scrap and the body. Stick it down and it will be stable to route the horns. 

Made sort of a jig from cut off pieces, double sided tape and a plate of MDF to support the router while cutting the binding channel. Worked like a charm, wish I had taken the time to set this up (basically identical, but mirrored) when doing the round over. Would've been perfect then. Lesson learned.

binding%20jig_zpsowp5n2ns.jpg

Build is now progressing nicely I have to say. I pre-drilled the control cavity and will route that somewhere in the next couple of days. Then on to the belly contour before moving on to the neck. I'm going to postpone routing the humbuckers and neck pocket until I have the neck (close to) finished.

• Like 2