First Vee and first neck thru

ihocky2

I am just wrapping up the last of my planning stage for this build and hope to start cutting some lumber in the next few weeks. The goal is to be ready for paint just about when the weather breaks for spring.

The design is based off a '67 Flying Vee with some minor tweaks. The neck will be profiled the same as my Soloist. Recessed TOM bridge, Seymour Duncan '59 pickups with gold covers. All hardware will be gold.

The neck I am planning on using a 3 piece laminate of lacewood and either mahogany or cherry. The body will be mahogany wings with a wenge top which will cover the neck. The head may or may not get a wenge face, I'll decide which I like better when the time comes. I'm torn between a bloodwood or an ebony fretboard, again I'll decide once I can lay the pieces together and choose the colors. The inlays will be gold MOP.

VCG Classic Vee.JPG

• Like 1

wow, that is an ambitious build, looks cool. 

sounds like you are doing a wenge top -I'm assuming the channel between electronics and jack will be routed?

Like the inlay but personally would like to see them reversed... had you considered that?  Just a thought.

I'm sure it will be awesome and am not casting aspersions when I say: I've always loved the look of a v and the access but have never been able to get along with them because I sit and play classical style.  I think they used to put an 'arm' on the bottom bout that could flip out and work as a leg rest... always wanted to try one with that... but haven't seen one with it for some time. 

rock on!

I had not thought of flipping the inlays, but I do like the idea. I’ll take a look at it. 

I’ve always like the V styles. Not sure if I’ll keep this one or sell it, so I figured I would try for a vintage tone since the rest of my guitars are set up for rock and metal. Easier to justify keeping it with a different style tone.