Full carbon fibre neck...

I have a possible contact with regards to getting offcuts of carbon fibre relatively cheap. Im intrigued about the idea of a fully carbon fibre neck (probably minus the fretboard), probably laminates of a few thick pieces....no truss rod, warp resistant, straight as a die and very smart and modern! If anyone on here has experience with this I would love to hear your thoughts. I've always been interested in this as Im a bit of a Shawn Lane fan and he had a signature Vigier that was reinforced with CF, and didn't have a truss rod. Ofcourse this would mean adapting to a playing style where the neck has no relief....I believe Jeff Beck has a pretty straight neck, but I digress....

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

8 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

no truss rod, warp resistant, straight as a die and very smart and modern!

Those qualities (assuming they are achievable in a practical all-CF neck) might actually come back to haunt you.

A perfectly straight/flat neck is inviting fret buzz unless you play with a particularly light touch. A neck needs some relief in order for the vibrating strings to clear all the frets.

No truss rod also means no chance of introducing relief or correcting any curvature errors in a neck when under string tension

• Like 1

2 hours ago, curtisa said:

Those qualities (assuming they are achievable in a practical all-CF neck) might actually come back to haunt you.

A perfectly straight/flat neck is inviting fret buzz unless you play with a particularly light touch. A neck needs some relief in order for the vibrating strings to clear all the frets.

No truss rod also means no chance of introducing relief or correcting any curvature errors in a neck when under string tension

I wonder if a truss rod would work in a CF neck? It is really stiff stuff isn’t it.