Choosing the correct fret wire by dimensions

I have never re-fretted a guitar before so I am concerned about the dimensions of the tang in relation to the given fret channel. The guitar I am working on is a Washburn whose fret channel depth is 1/8" (.125") and whose fret channel width is 1/32" (.0325"). I am looking at fret wire whose tang's depth is .071", inner width .0236", and out width is .037". I am assuming the outer tang should be wider than the channel in order for the wire to stay firm in the channel (is this correct? is it too large?). However, the tang's height leaves a lot of space between it and the bottom of the channel (should I glue in the bottom?). Can someone with experience help me out or provide a link?

MattSA

IMO tang height doesn't matter too much as long as the tang is not taller than the channel, that being said, you could make the channels deeper. If tangs are shorter, you can just fill the end with dust and glue and it would look fine on dark boards (not to much on maple). If the tangs are wider than than the slots, it will probably cause a slight back bow, so make sure you can adjust the truss rod (must be dual action). If it was me, regardless of the fretwire chosen, I would use ca glue aas well as hammering them in. 

When you say outer tang width, I presume you mean the barbs?

If so, then yes, that looks OK - your slot is wider and deeper than the strip that the barbs sit on, and the barbs themselves are wider and so cut into the wood at the sides of the slot to allow them to hook in and secure the fret..

The tang should fit the slot snugly by width and shouldn't be taller than what the slot is deep and the barbs should provide the grip in the sides of the slot as the above posters have said. The illustration should make it clear:

frtdpth.JPG.bc4ebb9acead277618e37cdb014277b0.JPG

• Like 1