Entry for December 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

noviceluthier

THe "What mistakes to avoid" thread

I can't believe this isn't in here:

Make sure that your fretboard isn't too skinny where it meets the body. Nothing is worse than having a high e string that is hard to play on because its too close to the edge.

Make sure the neck template is in the right place not just that the truss rod is in the center, the adjustment nut now sticks a 1/2" out of the heal. Only about an hour worth of work ruined but so is the wood, I always seem to mess up a neck on every guitar I make.

Router Tear-out Sucks. Make sure you test routing on scrap when using a new species you are not familiar with and get a feel for how to cut it.

I don't think this is here. If you are using chisels, knives, and other stuff that can slip, protect the hand that isn't holding the tool. So far, I've bounced knuckles off of a drill press mounted drum sander, missed and stabbed my hand with a knife (I'm not sure how I pulled that off), and I've stuck a 2mm gouge through the skin over my first knuckle on my index finger. If it would have been bigger, I would have needed more than a band-aid. All these injuries happened to my left hand because the right held the tool.

Be sure the cap is back on the bottle of CA tightly, especially before you go in for the night.

It's also a good idea not to leave corded power tools near the bottle of CA.

caspill.th.jpg