First Project pics!

Howdy everyone. First I'd liek to thank all the peeps who make this board so interesting and useful. I've been a daily visitor for the past 6 months or so. You guys rock. I started this with no other wood working experience than 8th grade woodshop an alarming 14 years ago. I bought a bandsaw, palm sander, router and dremmel multi pro. That little bugger rocks. Not counting the guitar hardware, I spent $400 or so on tools. Another $175 or so on wood and finsihing supplies. Not too bad when I figure a lot of the cost will spread over other guitars.

Now for the cool stuff. I just finished putting on the paint layer of my first project. Someone posted their plan for a guitar similar to this and I decided to give my own interpretation. Samick also has a new Greg Bennett designed guitar that is similar to this as well; I found that out afterwards... B) Oh well. Here's my take on it. I tried to give it a 50's look and feel. I still have to shoot the nitro clear gloss on it and do up the logo, etc.

My guitar pics

The pickguard is just a template that I had built up but it's not quite perfect yet. Stew Mac has my material on backorder. The pickups are just some covers I had lying around. I'll be switching some Lace Sensor Gold's into it from one of my Strats when it's done. I may go for the Lace Holy Grail depending on finances. The neck was a cheap paddle head stock that I tricked out. I think it cost me $36 including shipping from ebay seller musicvalue. It's really not a bad neck, but it had some funky grain showing on the headstock so that convinced me to paint it. Funky bad, not funky pfunk.I already have a flame maple neck ordered from Warmoth but I wanted to use a cheap one the first time around in case I forked it up.

The body is from a 2 piece Alder blank that I bought on ebay from burl.quilt. It was pretty much paint grade. with some bleaching I could have done a transparet finish. The bridge is a Fender hardtail bridge that I had been wanting to use in something for a while. Maybe the next one will get a hipshot. Or a reverse headstock and a bigsby w/ P-90s. Who knows.

Let me know what you think. Sorry for the text heavy post! Rock on. :D

Wow dude, you did some tough curves with no woodworking experience. I hope you didn't just mess up and make it a "Feature" :D . I'm actually going to a guitar pretty similar to that, black with a white pickguard with the cut-away not so sharp. Congratulations, hope it plays like a dream, and kudos for breaking outside of the box, instead of the same ol same ol.

I was smart and heededother advice. I made a few templates with plywood and messed around with the carves... They were done with the sanding barrel on the dremel ans then touched up with a dandom orbit sander and the mouse sander that I have. I was pretty happy with how it came out. Good luck on you r project!

I dig the headstock! It reminds me a lot of the Reverend headstock. It's got a great surf look to it, and the color you chose is perfect for the look. All it needs is a bigsby IMO....

Funny you should say that. I just odered a bigsby for the next one I'm building. It will be setup like a tele, with a tele-ish pickguard, controls and have the bigsby. I'll be doing that one in the fifties Fender pale blue.

My goal on this was to have one body style that I could equip like either a Strat, Tele or LP. I have the wood to do all 3 types but I'm taking it slow and try to learn from the gotchas.

Excellent guitar man!

I was wondering, though, maybe you could put the pup selector in the same position as the Les Paul? It would take alot of buggering around, but I think it would look REALLY cool- and add a bit extra 'gibson' vibe to the guitar (as well as the fender vibe).

Just a thought- great work once agin man!

Luke

I was wondering, though, maybe you could put the pup selector in the same position as the Les Paul? It would take alot of buggering around, but I think it would look REALLY cool- and add a bit extra 'gibson' vibe to the guitar (as well as the fender vibe).

I was thinking that too, but my plan is to build on setup like a Strat (StratoVision), one like a tele with a tele style pickguard (TeleVision) aand one with attached pickguard but 2 humbuckers and Les Paul control and switches (just plain Vision). Then maybe a double cut variant (DoubleVision). Yup, I got some free time to day dream on my hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'm back with more pics. I had to fashion a pickguard out of a trash barrel 'cause Stew Mac is backorder on the 3 ply material. I wired in my sensors from a strat that I have. I also had some Fender USA tuners kicking around so I put those one. Strung her up and started to work on the action and intonation. I blew out the high E as you may note in the pics. Out of string now. Man, those 10 packs go fast. I still need to take her apart, wet sand teh finish and go through a ton of clear coats.

The other body in the pics is my next iteration. She'll be setup like a Les Paul but with P-90s and a Bigsby b-5 or b-50 depending on my funds situation. The tope is 1/3" flame maple that I took a whirl at carving with power tools. I don't have much of a selection of carving tools so I used mostly a drill with a 2" sanding barrel, my Dremel pro with the lil barrel and my router. Add a lot of elbo grease and here it is. I chambered the body but forgot to take a pic before I glued her up. I didn't do the best job seamlessly bookmatching the top. There's always something to improve on I guess.

Here's the new pics.

Let me know what you guys think.