Got the idea for my bass guitar!

• 1 month later...

fingerboardclose.jpg

Hey aeli,

picked up a pretty old thread here! I haven't been around too much lately, partly because of slow progress on myt project and partly because I'm bummed about the new pic rules. Not that there's anything wrong with them, and I understand it helps everyone with slower connections, but it's still a bummer!

I actually did get moving again tonight and cut the fingerboard. The lignum smells nice the way rosewood does, and it cut to a polished finish. I used a nice sharp cutter and the vertical cuts came out glassy smooth. I think this is going to make not only a very durable and bright sounding fingerboard, but also a beautiful one! The grain on this stuff is unique. You can see the normal layers from growth rings as in most flatsawn hardwoods, but up close it looks as though the grain is all woven together. I'll get a pic tomorrow, didn't have my camera at the shop this evening.

I would say the lignum vitae is pretty waxy or oily, but no worse than a lot of rosewood or cocobolo that is commonly used. Well maybe it is, I have no way to measure that! I had it stuck to the router table with double sided tape though, and it stuck bigtime so that seemed pretty encouraging to me. I'll scuff up the back of the fingerboard with a rasp and wash it down with acetone before I epoxy it on and I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks for the tip on using epoxy Setch!

Edit to add pic-

Edited by Wademeister

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...