Meet the 01

OK so I know compared to the kind of artworks you guys produce this is pretty small beans, but this was my first ever build that I've just finished now (had to replace the neck). Some of you may remember my 02, well this is the 01! I'm going to post a lot of pics so apologies dial up users - bit like baby photos this innit? :D I actually gigged it last night, which is why it's looking a bit grufty. Tell you what - it was a proud moment walking on stage with a guitar I'd built myself.

Specs: Warmoth neck (off ebay) - check out the flame!

No-name strat copy body (off ebay)

Kent Armstrong Motherbucker

Schaller locking tuners

01_full3.jpg

01_body.jpg

01_back.jpg

01_headstock2.jpg

01_back.jpg

01_neck_back.jpg

yeah I can't take credit for the finish unfortunately - that's how I bought it, in fact I scratched the **** out of it by dropping a pack of sandpaper on it, but it doesn't show up in the pics! It only cost me £30 anyway...

03 is looking like being a Kramer Beretta style thing with an OFR... Yum!

Looks great Alexander!

I especially like the headstock logo. Did you paint that on or make a decal? Looks very factory prefect!

I printed it onto some waterslide decal paper, and just slid it on! Dead easy!

I can post a link to the guy on ebay i got it off if anyone's interested (already posted it somewhere else on here I think).

The humbucker is absolutely evil! In a good way of course... the clean sound ain't too great, but I guess that's the price you pay. It's incredibly hot tho - I've had to back it way off the strings just to get a clean sound out of it!

And yeah, the maple neck was a bit of a fluke really - it originally had a neck with a rosewood board on it, that I changed because it was basically unplayably cheap. I'm much happier with the way the guitar looks now.

And it plays like a beauty, most importantly of all!

Heh, yeah - I didn't actually know when I wired it up to be honest - but what they actually do is turn each half of the motherbucker series/parallel, then the third switch puts the whole shebang in either series/split/parallel. I'm going to change it around next time I change strings tho, so I can series/split/parallel each half as well.

Thanks dude, like I say it's not in the same league as some of you guys with your power tools and actual woodworking, but as I've been playing it the past week or so, it's rapidly becoming my favourite guitar - I think this is more luck than judgement in a lot of ways - the second hand neck I got off ebay is really nice to play and the motherbucker has more output than I'll ever need, but it's great fun playing a guitar that shreds so damn much.

The real irony is that this was supposed to be my "test" scrappy guitar where I made all my mistakes, and the 02 was supposed to be the "real" one that I'd take out on stage and have as my first guitar. As it turns out, the 02 still isn't playable enough (some of you may have read my thread whining about the high action) and the tuning isn't quite stable enough to use the trem (mainly due to strings binding in the nut because I've not done a very good job of slotting it), so that's kinda disappointing. But on the plus side, I WILL fix the 02 up to be a speed machine and in the meantime I've got a new guitar 100% to my own specs that plays like a dream and I'm really proud of that.