PRS Sweet switch

litchfield

Here ya go, Litchfield, direct from the man himself:

Sweet Switch (courtesy of PRS)

<edit> Sorry, computer went south on me momentarily - the mystery component in that diagram is some kind of inductor, possibly with additional caps, available only from PRS. If I can find out what's inside, I'll update you. It was originally designed to emulate the treble loss in a long cord, according to mythology at any rate.

Yeah, all a tone pot does is variably ground your signal throught a capacitor, so all you need to do is ground it through a capacitor via an on/off switch. All you have to do is decide on the value of the cap, any ideas guys?

yeah, $.99 for an nice assortment at rat shack.

Hi,

That's a good question. What PRS did back in the day was scratch off any and all markings on the resistor and cover it in foil. My guess is that, it has to be a resistor of some sort because passive electronics can only be filtered. I believe it's to be used as a mid boost by cutting the highs and lows at the same time. Just a guess, I should ask a few more people because I do get asked this from time to time.

It's got my curiosity piqued - please let me know what you find out. Here's the best I could scrounge up:

It's just a cap to ground. PRS used to use them instead of a variable tone control, got rid of them around '91 or so. Still available as a custom option, but with push/pull pots and the different switching options available these days (not to mention the improvement in their stock pickups) it's pretty useless. If you want to roll your own, start with .001uf and work your way up 'til you find a sound you like.

Not much help... and no guarantee of 100% accuracy, but hopefully you can get a more definitive answer.

well to let you know the average cable has around 220-470pf of capacitance. and the average coiled cabled had around760pf or .001uf. yeah i have measured most of my cords. and i have had 1000's.

personally if you want a really cool function for a tone control or sweet switch. i usually just use a blend pot. i put the .0022uf cap on one side. and the 1mfd on the otherside with a 2.2k resistor in series. you can add any bleed cap to ground, but i have found that those who try this have more fun with the tone knobs. as one side sounds like a chunky fat tone machineand the other is a nice and bright lead chimey sound. works great on a lespaul to make it have some more quack like a strat. so effectively if you set up your amp so that the tone filter as i call it is set up a little more than 60% [in favor to the high end.] when you roll it back you might be suprised how much the guitar would speak.

i know this doesnt' sound like what you are asking but it yields the same effect. without being muddy.

hope that helped.

• 3 weeks later...