Thinning acoustic guitar woods

CGHbuilder86

What is the best way to thin acoustic guitar woods very close to the finished dimensions?

I’ve been planing the wood with a wagner-t-safe planer in my drill press, and then sanding to the finished dimensions with a porter cable random orbit sander, when I can’t have them thinned from the supplier. This method works ok but if the wood is warped a little your in trouble. I’ve also done a little hand planing, but when it comes to hardwoods for the back and sides, it’s tough.

Cost is also an important matter. Cost is always an important matter.

Cost is also an important matter. Cost is always an important matter.

Well, I was gonna say one of these, like I'm gonna get, but if cost is a matter, the way you are doing it is all I can suggest, or find a local luthier, or furniture manufacturer and ask nicely if they can machine your wood for you.

I guess the lower cost stationary planers are pretty useless for this kind of work. Right?

Which brand are you referring to? I have a Rigid 13" planer (from Home Depot) and love it. It's still pretty expensive though - about $400. The sander looked like it was $1000 so it would be more affordable.

There are some jobs that are better suited to using a sander rather than a planer so I don't know if the one I mentioned would be right for you or not.

There's lots of discussion on the MIMF, in the forum section, then in the archived library discussions(you need to register to view those) about building homemade thickness sanders. However, for a job that need to be so precise, I wood prefer to buy one myself.