My guitar

Ok, got some photos...I'll try and get them to work on here, and keep it to a minimum...I don't have the timber for my neck yet - it's coming...AND...of course, it had to be cloudy for the first day in 2 months the day I took the photos, so here they are (if they work :D

This is the timber for the body (laminated western Australian Rosewood). It was an old stair tread and my uncle cut it up and glued it together for me...:D

acbda64d.jpg

944b159d.jpg

This is the timber I have for the fingerboards...I have had it cut down to 6-8mm thick..I have sanded two pieces with 2000 grit sandpaper (just to see how they would come out). There are two different types there - Cooktown Ironwood (reddish of the two) and Blackbean. Both are native Australian. I am going to use the cooktown ironwood for this guitar...And yes, I have a heap - enough for 11 fingerboards :D

16831afc.jpg

This is the blackbean

36519735.jpg

This is the ironwood

b8a2aba8.jpg

fa0a25da.jpg

This is the ironwood on the body timber

07a562b9.jpg

THIS is a piece of QLD maple (not a real maple) that my uncle got nearly 50 years ago and he gave it to me for a neck (one day, when I'm good enought to justify using it B)) It's A grade, perfectly straight and quatersawn...How lucky am I..?! :D

dce6d61e.jpg

Anways, I'll stop using up so much space now, and leave you to it, thanks for looking..Hope you like it.

Oh and the neck will be laminated New Guinea Rosewood, jarrah (3mm) and New Guinea Rosewood. bye

That Rosewood is beautiful Fi. You've got some nice wood there. It will come together. I can see you are going to keep your uncle busy. From your emails, it sounds like he enjoys it anyway. I've got to get into the Valley soon and check out some guitar shops. Do you know if Smiths are still in Fortitude Valley? Used to pick up some good cheap effects,amps and stuff a few years ago from them.

Just wait til you play your own hand built axe eh? B):D

Billy

Ok, in consideration of this comment from Skibum

It's a cool shape, but I don't think it'd look to good with the wood. The wood is too beautiful, IMO, for a metalish pointy guitar like that. I'd go for a PRS-ish doublecut type guitar.

i redesigned it all a little bit...

I also have my timber for the neck...

and some nicer photos...so I'll put some photos on here and some links (If we're not supposed to put photos on the forum anymore, let me know, and I'll fix it up)

Ok...

P8270080.jpg

This is my neck timber...it's new gineauan rosewood, laminated with a strip of Jarrah about 4mm wide...It looks HEAPS more orange on here than in real life..it looks reddish normally :D

P8270077.jpg

This is the final timber for my guitar..body neck and fingerboard...they also look heaps more orange..see the earlier pictures and combine the two and that's what it really looks like...kind of more red...

P8270074.jpg

This is the design for the body...it's going to be symmetrical, so i just did one side and then I'm going to mirror image it...bit safer maybe...it's about the same size as the bottom horn of a Strat..it's really hard to see..sorry bout that, it looks a bit out of proportion actually...

P8270075.jpg

This is my headstock...

Here are all my part that I've got so far...I don't have much to get, i don't think...most of my stuff came from Stew-Mac or Ebay...

It's going to be a 25.5inch scale with 24 frets, and the neck will be glued in probably, but I haven't decided yet...

These pics are of a neck tool that i made..it's a combination of a stew-mac neck caul (that I made) Brians fret wire bender idea (thanks for that) and a mitre box (that has no cuts in it yet)....Hopefully it will be like an entire neck working thing ... i'm a bit excited, as it's really the first thing that I've ever built :DB) ....

I'm really looking forward to any comments/recommendations/ etc....

thanks, bye

Its looking sharp! I've havent heard of most of those woods, but they sure are purdy. I wonder how they will effect the tone.