Ibanez RG570 copy project...

Howdy,

Well, this will be my first guitar build. I have gathered resources and information from the internet and this board, which has been particularily helpful. My goal is to copy and manufacture an Ibanez RG570 guitar, one of many in the RG series. This -should- be a relativly easy build (simple body shape, straight forward design, etc).

Here is what I am thinking of for materials:

Body.... 2 peice, mahogany

Neck.... laminated 2 peices of rock maple OR, laminated 2 peices of rock maple with a strip of oak (or whichever brown wood I see in these guitars in the center) for added strength.

Fretboard.... Maple

I would appreiciate any suggestions or input you guys have to my choice of woods. I am looking for a bright tone, as I am looking for a rock guitar.

I decided to start from scratch and use photos etc to get a rough design going. I have located the body plan recently for the ibanez jem (similar to RG) and my version fit perfectly, so dimention-wise I am on the right track. I still need to figure out things like the routing for the floyd rose trem, and the routing depth for the humbuckers etc. If need be I will take these dimentions off the jem plans and use them.

Please, tell me what you think and any suggestions you might have before I start building. Once I begin building I will be updating this thread with photos, etc.

Best regards,

Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Pau...23/RG-Full3.jpg

You should have kept the discussion on one thread alone, we are trying to keep the multiple threads for the same subject to a minimum. Next time just PM a mod and ask them to move the thread from forum.

Ok, now to the guitar. If you want a bright sound do it all maple. Or you can have a better sounding by mixing different types, like mahogany and maple top like Gibson.

Here is a site that explains types of woods an their tonal charachteristics.

http://www.rampartguitars.com/Tonewoods.htm

just so that you can reach up to the high frets easier. the reason I mentioned it was because yours is sort of like it, but almost like a left handed version. it seems to me that if you flipped the placement of the neck bolts, then it would provide better access, like the AANJ does. there would be less body wood sticking out towards the bottom of the neck where your hand would go

The design is almost complete! Cavities are planned, scale length is set, final dimentions are all together, neck thickness is finalized! I will be making these plans public, for people to build for their own personal use, if I get any demand. I have worked hard on them. Fret spacing shown is accurate, as well.

Wood soon! I am busy consulting luthier friends for advice on building this mother. Hopefully I will have an update within a week about wood.

RG-Full5paint.jpg

Paul :D

What did you decide to do about the wood choices? When I first started getting into building, I always thought that a dark/bass sounding guitar would be better for hard rock/metal. I also read many times how people complained about the brightness of maple and the tricks people use to combine it with other woods to get rid of that brightness.

Now, I know it's not for everyone but I personally love the sound of an all maple guitar. The brightness seems to help somehow in the final sound. I use a scooped EQ in my effects loop but everything in front of the preamp/distortion is dialed toward a brighter sound. It really gives a crisp and sharp sound that works very well with the type of music I like to play. Like I said - it's probably not for everyone but I like it!

What did you decide to do about the wood choices? When I first started getting into building, I always thought that a dark/bass sounding guitar would be better for hard rock/metal. I also read many times how people complained about the brightness of maple and the tricks people use to combine it with other woods to get rid of that brightness.

Now, I know it's not for everyone but I personally love the sound of an all maple guitar. The brightness seems to help somehow in the final sound. I use a scooped EQ in my effects loop but everything in front of the preamp/distortion is dialed toward a brighter sound. It really gives a crisp and sharp sound that works very well with the type of music I like to play. Like I said - it's probably not for everyone but I like it!

I am stilll aiming for a maple neck, fretboard, and mahogany body. This is based on what I have read about the tones they will give.

Paul