how do i do this

Anathema

Hey, the way I do them on my bass is:

put your finger on the note that you want to play (with the left hand) and fret it (unlike open chord harmonics). Then with your right hand put your thumb on the same note one octave down on the same string. (this means 12 frets down) and with your thumb on that note use your index finger to pull and release the string (kinnda hit it) and if you do it it looks kinnda like a pinching motion.

pick whatever note you want on whatever fret it is possible to do them on all frets sum a lil harder then others, pick your not as normal but right after you pick hit the string with ur thumb thats holding the pick so you are sorta pinchin the note between ur thumb and pick, it does take some practice tho, also you can do it by playin the note as normal and then hittin the string with ur middle finger on ur picking hand, doesnt sound as good tho

MzI

easiest and most corret way ios too not use a pick,

take your index finger and place it above the fret (lightly) that the harmonic is on (fretted note+12 (or 5 or 7 or 17 or 19)) and then bend your middle finger back, and then at the same time you pluck with your middle finger you raise your index finger (at the same time),

easiest and most corret way ios too not use a pick,

take your index finger and place it above the fret (lightly) that the harmonic is on (fretted note+12 (or 5 or 7 or 17 or 19)) and then bend your middle finger back, and then at the same time you pluck with your middle finger you raise your index finger (at the same time),

What truerussian is describing is called a natural harmonic. That's different than a pinch harmonic.

Natural harmonics give a bell like tone while pinch harmonics give a screamin' sound.

Zakk Wylde uses them alot and so do ZZ Top, to name a couple.

For pinch harmonics, I hold my pick close to the tip.

All in one downstroke of the pick, the tip of the pick hits the string then the edge of my thumb gently brushes by the string. You can move your picking hand to different locations along the string to change the effect too.

As for natural harmonics you can try what truerussian said, say on the 12 fret.

Lightly touch the string (not pressing down just touching) at the 12 fret. This will give that bell-like sound.

Now press down (normal fretted note) at the high E string at the 2nd fret (F#) with your fretting hand and at the same time, lightly touch the string at the 14 fret (1 octave higher than your fretted F#) with your right index finger and pluck the string with your middle finger. (like truerussian described)

You can play entire arpeggios in natural harmonics with this and it sounds very cool.

Hope that made a little sense.

All in one downstroke of the pick, the tip of the pick hits the string then the edge of my thumb gently brushes by the string. You can move your picking hand to different locations along the string to change the effect too.

finally someone posts it correctly..you are pinching nothing..like he said you are only brushing the string with your thumb in the same stroke

you can also do it on the upstroke,but it is tougher that way imo

practice it on the 12th fret of the #3 string...it is easier to get and to hear it there...there are about 3 or 4 different places on that fretted note that you can brush it and get a different harmonic tone

thanks alot this has helped and will this get harder if iam tuned lower? i can get it everyonce in a while but i still need practice. thanks sooo much though if you could maybe post anyother helpful skill to make some neat nosies that would be helpfull too thanks a lot again

Edited by Anathema

Hey, the way I do them on my bass is:

put your finger on the note that you want to play (with the left hand) and fret it (unlike open chord harmonics). Then with your right hand put your thumb on the same note one octave down on the same string. (this means 12 frets down) and with your thumb on that note use your index finger to pull and release the string (kinnda hit it) and if you do it it looks kinnda like a pinching motion.

That's a harp harmonic.

The easiest fret for me to do pinch harmonics on is fret 5 on the g and D strings.

What truerussian is describing is called a natural harmonic. That's different than a pinch harmonic.

Natural harmonics give a bell like tone while pinch harmonics give a screamin' sound.

actually its called an artificial harmonic, natural is only open strings, but i didnt realize they where different from pinch harmonics (learn something new everday :D )

just listen to a recording of scarborough fair, there is a art. harmonic bit, sounds quite nice (its supposed to represent the falling of the rain)

Edited by truerussian558

actually its called an artificial harmonic, natural is only open strings, but i didnt realize they where different from pinch harmonics (learn something new everday)

Natural harmonics are not only on open strings. Read my post about Natural harmonics and give it a try. You should see what I mean.

Try a 'D' chord and play the natural harmonics the same distance from the 12th fret as the fretted notes are from the nut. Some notes sounds clearer than others but you can get natural harmonics all over the neck.

Pinch harmonic= Artificial harmonic

sorry, but I tending to beleive christopher parkening, in his classical method he describes these as being artificial harmonics (when you play a harmonic with a fretted note), thats why in a lot of classical pieces it is written as art. harmonic, or natural harmonic over the set of notes to be played with artifiical harmonics or natural harmonics

what you described in the first part of that post was a natural harmonic, the second part is an artificial harmonic

thoguh all this bickering can be because we where taught with different terms. me being classical and learning classical method i was taught that what i described was an artificial harmonic

Edited by truerussian558

...To produce an artificial harmonic, a guitarist holds down a note on the neck with her left hand, thereby shortening the vibrational length of the string, and uses her right hand to lightly touch a point on the string that is an integer divisor of its vibrational length, and also pluck the side of the string that is closer to the bridge. This technique is used to produce harmonic tones that are otherwise inaccessible on the instrument...

Like truerussian, I was taught that any hamonic of a fretted note was an artificial harmonic, both by my jazz instructor and my classical professor in college. FWIW, if a fretted note produces natural harmonics, then what are artificial harmonics?

my advice...don't worry so much about what they are called...worry about playing them correctly.

when i tried to find info on the internet about all this...all i found was contradicting information between several equally "reliable" sources

i think you can't trust anyone on the names...only how to achieve the tecqnique

Going back to the question ....

I have found it slightly easier to do with a flat tuning, but I don't really know why. Once you have mastered the trailing the thumb behind the pick thing to get the harmonic, try moving you picking hand closer to or away from the bridge. You will find that the closer you get to the bridge, the higher the harmonic note. This works in the same way as natural harmonics on an open string. If you go for a natural harmonic on an open E at the 12th fret, you get a harmonic octave. If you fret the E at the fifth fret and pinch harmonic at around halfway between bridge and fret, you get the same result. Move a third of the way back towards the bridge and the harmonics get higher.

For a bit of fun, if you want to to the squeeling stuff that Satch does, then pinch harmonic across the top three open strings at around the position of the neck pickup.

I hope this helps and good luck. With a bit of practice, you'll be able to pull these harmonics off no problem.