Most suitable tool for rough wood?

wing

did you look at the thread pinned in this section that lexluthier wrote??

Neck Shaping

There really is no best tool for neck shaping. You can use the tried and true spokeshave, rasps and files, or a sanding drum. I began with a spokeshave, but in my experience found they left 'chunky' heels and a 'bowed' look to the neck, maybe it was just my technique though. Spokeshaves are a great, inexpensive tool(mine was $25), and are easy to use, however, I found they can get caught, and or chip out figured wood. This is where rasps and files can come in. You could shape a neck entirely with a spokeshave or rasps and files, or probably best, a combination. Use the spokeshave to rough out the shape, and take it down with rasps and files. I myself use a 4" x 36" bench top belt/disc sander, I actually use the idle drum with the belt sanding portion raised to about 45*. I find I can get really crisp, accurate heels with this method. Also, I rough out the neck with a 60grit belt, then move up to 120grit to do the fine shaping. Another bonus to the belt sander is I use it for alot of other things, including headstock thicknessing. I'm not listing PROS/CONS for this section as I believe there is no better method/tool to go about shaping a neck, it is just a presonal preference.

LIKE THIS?

They are marks left by the bandsaw, which I remove when I true the fingerboard gluing surface, headstock face/back, and contour the neck. I use a jointer to true the fingerboard gluing surface, a stationary beltsander to true the headstock face/back, and the idle drum of a stationary beltsander to shape the neck.

Thanks everyone, no it hasnt been profiled just the initial cuts for neck and headstock angle and the drop for the figured top. The marks are like the on lex luthiers picture but very bumpy, i think that if i sand it down completely flat, i will remove the cutting lines i drew. (The woodworker cut it VERY close to the line, sorry no pictures yet) I tried to plane it down level with a handheld electric planer but it cand get those hard to reach places such as the dropout, and it isnt wide enough to be used effectively. Ill need to rent out a power tool or something but would a belt sander be able to get in those tricky areas?