MIDI help?

monkey69962000

I have been trying to fiddle with MIDI files for the last month or so. Well, i had no luck. What i want to do is take a MIDI file i have and turn it into the instraments its supposed to sound like, then slow the song down a little. Well can someone tell me step by step on what to do and what free software to get to do that. Thanks. I did search the forum and found nothing. I know GregP already tried to explain but he used different software then me.

basically you get a midi editor/creator and open the midi file in it, there you see all the notes for each channel and the voice assignments for it, the "patch" is the voice assigned to the channel (a number and a name, like 1-grand piano) and to change wahat sound instrument it uses you change the patch number or if its a it more advanced it uses a fancy scroll down menu thing. like i was saying, i use guitar pro 4 to open midis and play with them since it also gives me tabs instantly.

ProTools Free from Digidesign is FREE! at www.digidesign.com.

This package is the industry standard pro studio environment. The free version is extremely capable. I use it to do midi tracks on one laptop and then port them over to the ProTools environment for audio tracking.

Only drawback is it will not run under Windows 2000 or XP. I always run two partitions anyways (Windows 2000 and 98se) so it works perfectly well for moble needs.

Nuts and bolts of midi.

A PORT or BANK contains 128 midi PATCHES.

A PATCH is a SOUND (piano for example) that is assigned a number 0-127 and has multiple PARAMETERS and NOTES.

PARAMETERS are just that, they adjust panning, volume, attack, decay..etc.

MIDI NOTES (the pitch played) are assigned numbers as well within the PATCH.

I've been working with midi since the mid 80's. You won't understand everything over night, but if you do some google searches on 'MIDI BASICS', I'm sure you'll find everything you would possibly need to know.

Good luck...

BTW...shouldn't this be in the off topic area? :D

MIDI is a musical tool or needs tools. I got this really good one from this site. But i cant use the song i got because its MId. instead of AWE. Anyone know a really good MIDI sequencer that uses MID. and is free

Well, if it can't import a general midi (.mid) file than it's not a very good tool. lol.

Like I said, protools free. Most sequencers can import .mid files. I'd say all can but appearently not. :D

i use guitar pro 4 (or was it 3?) you can get it for like $1.00 or other legitimate ways *cough cough*

reference to warez here is not permitted. What does this thread have to with "tools and shop talk"

reference to warez here is not permitted. What does this thread have to with "tools and shop talk"