In Progress: Doubleneck 12/6 Strat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ditto vladdrac..it is beautiful. i've used spalted maple and spalted pecan on several guitars but never thought of shooting a burst on it. it looks great!

with all the work you've put into this one you're probably gonna have to sleep with it for a while. :D

The only thing I would suggest is to do a new neck, make the angle on the top side les pronounced, put 8 tuners on top and 4 on the bottom

I had thought about this, but with the big 70s-era strat headstocks, there is really not enough room between the headstocks for tuners on the bottom of the 12-head. They'd be bumping into the tuners on the 6-head.

Hi,

I saw a picture once of a guitar which had been changed from a normal 6 string strat into a 12 string strat. Can't find it now, could have been on MIMF or even here, can't remember.

He just changed the bridge over, left the 6 regular tuners on, and added 6 more around the edge. He may have reinforced the back of the headstock with something, can't remember. Anyway, it didn't look the best, but I guess it's an option, something to think about anyway.

I've drawn a REALLY quick picture of what it sort of looked like.

Dodgy Strat headstock Drawing :D

B):D

Tuners down on the round end of the strat headstock won't work properly, your strings will be hitting the other tuners. try using mini tuners like these

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,...r_Machines.html

and put 8 on the top side and perhaps 4 on the lower side, you'll need to draw out the string geometry though to make sure nothing is going to hit anywhere you don't want it to.

You COULD put tuners all around the undeside like that, but you'd have to use a lot of string trees and string guides to bend the strings around to where the tuner posts are at the "ball" end of the strat headstock. As Jeremy says, you'll end up with strings crossing and hitting stuff they're not supposed to.

You could also probably do neat things with LSR Precision Tuners.

Yeah I remember that one, I'm pretty sure it was here. I forget who built it, but I remember it was called a "hippiecaster" or something like that.

Even with the minituners, now that I've had both necks on, I can see that the "lower" tuners on the 12-neck would be very close to bumping into the tuners on the 6-neck.

Edited by erikbojerik

Hi,

I saw a picture once of a guitar which had been changed from a normal 6 string strat into a 12 string strat. Can't find it now, could have been on MIMF or even here, can't remember.

He just changed the bridge over, left the 6 regular tuners on, and added 6 more around the edge. He may have reinforced the back of the headstock with something, can't remember. Anyway, it didn't look the best, but I guess it's an option, something to think about anyway.

I've drawn a REALLY quick picture of what it sort of looked like.

Dodgy Strat headstock Drawing :D

B):D

Ta Da!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/thegui...ct/12string.htm

That might have been the hippiecaster...I seem to remember flowers in the finish, but maybe they were actually in the background... The tuner arrangement is identical to what I remember.

Well....the Nov. 5 gig has been postponed, which is not totally a bad thing. It gives me more time to make the finish perfect. Thanks for all the props!

As for the headstock, they're already both cut out and rough-sanded and sanding sealer applied. They MUST match so no-go on the shallower top angle for the 12-neck (and anyway the real problem is the small space between the headstocks). The string clamp thing will work fine; but I may need to notch the top of it for the E and A strings to get to the tuning posts.

Darren, I had thought about the ABM tuner-bridge, but the cost was prohibitive compared with the Schaller hardtail w/fine tuners. With the string clamp, I'll just load up the octave strings, bring them up to tune with the tuning keys (actually slightly sharp), then lock them down and snip off the ends. Then I'll load up the regular strings through the body, and tune them up with the tuning keys in the usual way (after proper notching of the Schaller saddles).

The fine tuners on the Schaller bridge will tune only the octave strings (top loaded), the tuning keys will tune only the regular strings (string thru). Should work fine, and look cleaner than having tuners on the body.

• 1 month later...

Slow progress...many tiny instances of the clear coat lifting in a few areas on the back. So I'd sand the polyU down & re-do the clear coat. Then I'd notice a few problems on the front, so I'd do the same thing. Repeat again. You get the picture.

So now I think I finally have the front done with the very last clear coat; same for the back (but now I see a spot on the side...sigh...).

The necks are done (I had to replace a skunk stripe on one that was sanded too thin), one is buffed out. I have all the hardware, so I'm looking at getting these done by the end of January.

Here's the body with the last clear coat...it was in the mid-60s today in Maryland, great for spraying it.

BodyRefin.jpg

...it was in the mid-60s today in Maryland, great for spraying it.

GRRRRRR!!!!

Went from 30 this morning to 21 and snow, then back to 30 and rain that froze as soon as it hit the ground here today........no driving for me! The cars on the highway by the house have been going about 5 MPH all afternoon (they usually go 60+). Still raining too.... :D

Killer looking body! I'll ditto Maiden.....neck pics??

Here's the necks, top one is the 12 & the bottom one the 6 (finished & buffed out). The truss rod access is different on the 12 because I need more wood to mount a locking string clamp for the octave strings. The 12 neck is ~1/4" wider than the 6 neck, and its heel is shaved down to fit into a standard neck pocket.

Edit: The 12 neck also has a fretboard extension, I just wanted to try one out for kicks.

NeckFinal1.jpg

Edited by erikbojerik

B) man thats awsome!! love the walnut on the necks, but i must say the big headstock looks goofy and is no good 4 a 12-string ive seen a 12-striong pulled off on a tele headstock looked good, but im doin a 12 at the moment on a headstock similar to the ibanez one , its comming along nicely, ill get pics sometime, oh yeah and here its 32 degrees C which is about 83 F

hehe good time here in oz :D

Edited by where's the beef???

Buffed out the 12-neck yesterday. Then proceeded to ding the bottom corner of the headstock, on the back (grr!). No matter, I build these to play 'em so it'll get dinged up plenty good anyway.

I've always liked the big 70's headstock....must be the Jimi in me.

The 12-string neck will have only 6 tuners...it'll work, you'll see...

• 2 weeks later...

Finished fine-sanding the entire body this week; man I love those Abralon pads! I routed out the recesses in back for the matching spalted maple covers, which are almost ready for polyU. Still need to cut the slot for the switch and drill holes for the knobs & jack. Then I'll be ready to buff out the body.

All the hardware is here & dry-fit. Still need to cut & slot the nut and do the fretwork (this weekend). With any luck, I might make the GOTM deadline...especially now that Green Bay is out of the NFL playoffs...

erik, what was your method for the decals on the headstocks for your signature? Did you just sharpee it on and clear over or did you use the transparencie method that jehle made? I too was thinking about putting my signature on a headstock or two. My plan was to put 1 clear on then sign it with a sharpie, then put another clear on (the first clear being so it won't soak into the wood)

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone

My plan was to put 1 clear on then sign it with a sharpie, then put another clear on (the first clear being so it won't soak into the wood)

That's exactly what I did, it is not a decal. One (or more) coats of clear, sanded the whole headstock with 600 grit, signed it with a Sharpie (a new one, I wanted a fine line), then I laid down 3-4 very light mist coats (10-15 min drying in between) so that the solvents in the clear would not run the ink. Once the mist coats were try, then I laid the thicker clear coats.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the whole string clamp thing for the 12-neck settled this week. This is a locking string clamp from AllParts (the one with the curved bottom, not the Kahler version) screwed down behind where the nut will go. The face of the headstock was purposely cut deep enough so that the string runs would be well below the bottoms of the nut slots and the strings would angle down from the nut to get to the clamp.

The octave strings will run from the Schaller bridge fine-tuners, over the nut, over the string clamp and tuned up two at a time, then clamped and unwound from the tuner posts. Fine tuning adjustments are then made at the bridge. I could snip the extra string between the tuners & the clamp, but for now I'll just wind it up & tuck it away in case I need to tune up again later.

I took a 5/64" bit and drilled through just under each of the string runs, as you can see in the pic. These are the runs for the main strings, which are mounted string-thru style at the bridge, then go over the nut, through the drilled holes in the clamp, then to the tuners where they'll stay.

So the main strings are tuned at the headstock, the octave strings are tuned at the bridge.

Also slotted the Schaller bridge for 12 strings. Will cut the nuts tomorrow.

StringClamp.jpg