Finished my Jem Tribute!

82DeanZ

Hey All,

Well, I finally finished my Jem Tribute guitar. Well, really more of a USA Custom as it turned out. See my original progress thread here:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...=0entry120854

Here is a teaser pic:

Body%201.jpg

See the rest of the pics here (scroll down for the finished pics):

http://www.pariah-now.com/Guitar%20Build%2...uild%20Page.htm

It is really quite pretty in person with a high WAF factor (wife acceptance factor). The specs are as follow:

One piece alder body with a 1/4 in maple top (bargain bin) and natural binding.

Quarter sawn maple neck with maple fret board with abalone inlays and abalone side dots.

Satin finish on fretboard and headstock and tung oil on the back of the neck.

Grover 18:1 mini locking tuners with graphite nut.

Dimarzio Evolution neck and bridge pickups.

Gotoh Wilkinson Bridge.

Gold 3-way switch

gold abalone topped dome knobs.

Jem style output.

Flame maple trem and control cavity covers.

Special thanks to Wes for suggesting adding the maple top when I overplaned my alder blank. Special thanks to Drak for the stain black - sand back - stain desired color technique (I even used Solar Lux black!). Special thanks to Brian for the Jem style output tutorial. Special thanks to whoever it was that posted a bass or guitar with wood control and trem covers. I forget who you were, but thanks for the idea whoever you are! And thanks to everyone who posts in general (and of course thanks to Brian for hosting Project Guitar) because I really don't think this project would have come off as well as it did without you. Thanks!

The guitar plays and sounds like a dream and sets up better than any of the production guitars I own. I did the fret level myself using a sharpening stone. Right now the action is at 1.0 mm and no buzzing or fretting out. Thats pretty low. I may actually raise it a bit. Thanks for taking a look and let me know what you think or if you have any questions or comments.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Edited by 82DeanZ

Thanks for you kind words.

a lot of guitars with maple necks kinda look like rosewood would look better, but on yours the maple looks great, very much a part of its personality

I agree. On this guitar, the contrast between the deep blue and the white maple looks really nice. The deep blue and the greens and blues in the abalone reinforce each other nicely as well. ASM answered your question regarding natural binding. B) It's not easy to do. Next time I will clear coat the binding edge first and then tape and stain to make cleaning up the line easier.

Very nice!

Great job popping the maple figure, binding looks very sharp too - I like it.

Thanks Setch. Coming from you that means a lot. I respect your work enormously.

is this the emmys or a guitar building site  haha, nice finish job

MzI

Oh wait...I forgot to thank my sponsors! I'd like to thank Delta power tools for providing the inexpensive, but workable band saw used in the making of this guitar. I'd like to thank....:D

Thanks again everyone.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Edited by 82DeanZ

I couldn't say that that top was going to come out with such a figure since on the unfinish states look plain w/ not much figure.

It suprised me too. In fact, I wasn't even sure I should stain it. I was going to leave it natural, but in the end I said what the hell. I think Drak's Solar Lux Black technique really helped to bring out what little figure there was. I literally pulled the maple out of the bargain bin at the local hardwood store. Who knew?

Best Regards,

Mike.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

amazing job man! it looks better than factory made jems! want to sell it to me? haha

You're the second person that offered to buy it from me. I took it in for my guitar lesson this week and couldn't get it out of my instructor's hands! He wanted to buy it as well.

Also, funny you should make that comment about factory JEMs because that is why I decided to make my own in the first place (a large part of the reason anyway). It's getting hard to justify spending the $1800 or so that they want for your limited choice of a blue or white JEM. Not to say that those aren't nice guitars, but they do tend toward the mundane and are relatively expensive for guitars with opaque finishes. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a guitar I want some serious eye candy in return. I may go all the way with my next guitar and add in the monkey grip, pyramid inlays and lions claw. Now that I have some experience I feel more confident that I could pull it off. Again, thanks for you kind words.

Best Regards,

Mike.

Edited by 82DeanZ