New Project LP copy

Almost done, still need to clean up the stain, just set the neck last night.

I tried doing an inlay on the headstock. Looks pretty good. This guitar passes the up close nose test, its really nice, spent a lot of time on it so far. The only problem that I have had had was getting the dots drilled in a perfect line.

Thanks!

bod.jpg

neck.jpg

the color process was a little bit of work.

I dyed the top black with color tone. I added water so that it soaked, did this like 4 times. Then pulled out the orbital sander and went to work removing most of the stain cept where it stuck in.

then I set the neck and starting applying color tone yellow and red stain with an alcohol base so that it did not seep in and ruin the faux binding. I made the outside a little bit more yellow than red and when from there. I wanted a nice orange color and got it. It is what I wanted, a little more red but I sill will go over it with 320 then hit the nitro.

thanks for the comments. I was going to do one of those guild a guitar tutorials but I think that we have a couple of really good ones out there. I will have a page on my website once I am done dedicated to this guitar. I will be selling this one on ebay once I feel that its a little broken in, prbably 6 months or so.

thanks for the comments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i think you need to take a little more care with your routing,and try a little harder to get the finish level sanded and such,but this is a rather large improvement over some of your other projects. B) you are going to mention the routing problems on ebay,aren't you?

edit

hey what is up with the truss rod channel?it seems to actually run into the fretboard! :D

I don't know if I will sell this one. Its a lot better, but the lacquer job really sucks and its too cold to spray now, I am in chicago. The was my first full spray job with high gloss nitro, I have used the satin finish with much better luck. I am now mixing my own lacquer and I finally got a spray gun. The first pass on this guitar was brushed nitro and that was a huge mess. I got it all level sanded but I didn;t apply even coats so I sanded through in some spots...

I route all my necks in one pass, plus I have had problems with the hotrod spliting the fretboard at one end. This time I set it about a half inch deeper into the neck. here is a neck that i have sitting round...

neck1.jpg

The Good: The flame looks great, and your dye job came out very nice - even, and a great colour too. Looks like you levelled the top nicely too, which can be tough over a curved area.

The bad: The colour/finish on the sides looks patchy or rough, I think it could stand more sanding and re-coating, until it's level and evenly buffed out. As Wes mentioned, the routing of the neck pickup and recessed bridge could be *a lot* tidier - even with the bridge and pickup ring installed the rough areas are visible. Remember the template is your friend, if in any doubt, take the time to make/use one.

The, ummm not sure, but maybe that's how you like it: The bridge looks very low - maybe this is your preference, but I'd prefer more break angle over the bridge. This setup also leaves the pickup rings very low, and means your pick is pretty much guaranteed to hit the body when you pick. I'd like to see narrower binding (I like a hair under 1/4"), and consequently more arch on the top - which would also mean more neck angle and thus a higher bridge. Like I said, these aren't errors as such, just my preference, which obviously means it's how every one should do it :D

Overall, I like it, but I'd like to see more attention to detail on the next. Speaking of which, what's next?! B)

the sides suck, it being cold has limited my time on the sprayer, may wait till next year and hit it again with lacquer. the guitar has been sitting for 4 weeks now and I'd figure time to try the buffing...

the Bridge is set into the body, there is no angle on the neck, thats the next project.

algeeeater, its not venner its a full bookmatched top 1/2 thick. The way the picture is taken show off some areas better than others, its the light hitting it a certian way.

I have the largest problem getting the camera to take good pictures that show the details...