DCFT1w.jpg

Flame maple top over mahogany- modest chambering of both

24.75 scale, set neck, scarf joint

10" fretboard radius -rosewood

Gibson HBs out of an old guitar of mine

Vol/Tone/Blend pots, knobs resessed

Gotoh tuners

Bone nut

This pic clips of the top of the headstock, it's a symetrical arrowhead shape. I'll post a few more pics later.

Well this was my first carvetop (and first setneck too), so I learned afew things... I bought the tall binding from Stew-Mac before I'd finalized how I was going to do the cutaways. The guitar is also fairly thin, which means it is pretty light. If I were doing it again, I'd go with a shallower binding, but I like this well enough.

The top wasn't routed. I used a Wagner Power Plane to rough in the outer level and step the actual carve. After knocking off the step edges with some good production sandpaper, I made a maple contoured sanding block which allowed me to have a fairly consistant curve. The horns around the cutaways were shaped with rasps and sandpaper. Way too much work.

The finish is nitro over dyes. After I'd made a nice amber dye I was going for a subtle burst, but it came out a little stronger brown at the edges than I'd wanted. Don't like to cover up nice figure. The actual burst is a toned nitro rattle can from Behlen called Jet Spray. More opaque than I expected (I did tests). I made some masks to use while hand spraying, but switched to just doing it w/o the masks.

As to the sound it is much brighter than I expected, even with the chambers. Very articulated and louder than any of my other guitars. It has a bit more twang than a normal LP and isn't muddy at all. So the adventure continues, not always just the way I had figured it, but I'm happy.

I recessed the knobs by making a small pilot where I wanted the center to be, then ran a forstner bit down on a drill press (pilar drill to some of our friends across the water), setting the depth stop for consistancy. Then some hand sanding to smooth things.