First project

lmmr

hi all,

after much thinking, reading, drawing and reading hundreds of posts over here in projectguitar.com i finally started building my first guitar, here are the specs:

Scale length: 635mm (25")

24 frets

maple neck with rosewood fretboard, headstock angle 13º, U-Channel truss rod

ash body

Schaller 3D6 bridge (fixed)

Schaller tuners

here is the body shape i came up with, it's not very original but i like it, any comments/criticism is, as always, appreciated

body%20template.jpg

here are some progress pics on the neck, they're only of the fretboard glueing, i forgot to get pictures of the steps before that

attaching the fingerboard

clamped neck

headstock

below is a shot of the templates, neck & body, being aligned so i make sure everything is ok, i use a very thin string that is stretched along the templates

neck body alignment

another shot of that

next step: build a robosander copy, will use it the taper the neck

• 2 weeks later...

well, finally got all the parts to build my pattern sander copy, with this i did some initial tapering on the neck. The pattern sander actually works quite well, used some balsa wood as the guide wheel for the drum, after some use it burns a bit from the friction but it still remains fairly accurate. Sorry about the poor quality of the pics, wish i had a better camera... here we go:

taperinginprogress2.jpg

Pattern sander getting built:

Drill press mounted on a board

Drum sander with guide wheel disassembled... and assembled

The whole thing mounted

Now i just use it to taper the neck to the correct shape, the guide wheel on the drum sander rides up against the template fastened to the top of the neck and sands away everything underneath

Work in progress... another angle

As you probably will notice, due to the fact that the headstock is not shaped yet i'm still unable to reach the nut portion of the neck and give it the correct shape

Semi-tapered neck.... another angle

next steps: cut away unused portion of headstock so the sander can reach the nut

start thinking of a way to place accurate perpendicular fret marks on the fretboard

• 3 months later...

well, it sure has been a long time since my last update, this has a good reason, i had to toss the neck i was building, my home-made pattern sander was not sanding my neck square so i ended up with a neck with a taper across it's width, not very good for fitting it in the neck pocket.

Here is a pic of the neck of where i'm at right now:

neck1.jpg

The specs were changed a bit, i am now using an ebony fingerboard, i also used a ebony veneer on the headstock so i've got a maple neck completely covered in ebony.

The board has been radiused (12") and the first 17 fret slots have been cut, 7 to go still.

Also did some work on the body (sapelli), sanding it down to the line, next up is cutting the neck pocket, i'm using a Schaller 3D6 bridge, i'm not sure yet if i'm gonna put a neck angle in it or not. Hopefully will have some more pictures soon.