Just bought a Wolfgang.........cheap!!!!

BeAR

Im a bit of an Ebay junkie, so its very rare that I look in the local classified newspaper ads anymore. Anyway I bought the paper today to have a look as I was bored on my lunch break. Scanning through the "I" section for Ibanez and "P" for Peavey................the two colums that really only take my interest, I found a Peavey Wolfgang ST, carved flame maple cap, trans green in colour. $1495 Australian. Now being the car salesman that I am, I thought I might be able to knock this guy down in price a bit, and if not well I could mess with his mind. hehe.

10 minutes later I had him down to $1200 over the phone. I thought it might be worth a look so I got his address and arranged a visit after work.

To this very minute I really dont think the guy knew what he had. I walked into this guys music room and spotted the most beautiful green wolfy I have ever seen.

Trying to contain my excitement, I proceeded to piss and moan about how green wasnt my real preference in colour and how the action was too high................cruel I know. Well to cut a long story short, I now own the green wolfy in question in its original hardcase, and with the action lowered and some new strings is the nicest sounding guitar in my collection. Oh yeah it ended up costing me $950.

Thats $680 US.

Moral........NEVER take the first or second price you are told. :D

pics up soon.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that the Wolfies don't hold their value very well, for some reason I don't know. They're killer guitars, though.

Like you paid $680 US for a top-shelf model, but I've seen several Specials around here in the Midwest US for as little as $300. On the other side, I see the old EBMM models still fetching quite good prices upwards of $700-1000 US. That's for 12-year-old, beat-up guitars, too!

I guess it must be that the Peaveys, while not necessarily much lower in quality, must be more plentiful than the old EBMMs. I suppose that would fit in with what Eddie wanted when he went to Peavey, which was a guitar that his fans could afford AND actually get their hands on without having to wait 6 months for EBMM to build it.

Good deal dude! But mine was even better! :D

I bought an all original vintage Gibson SG built in 1972 for 125€ from a guy how didn't know jack. He advertised it in the local newspaper as a Gibson Les Paul. I went there immedeately and asked him what he wants for the guitar. He told me "ok I bought this guitar when I was a kid about 30 years ago....it is so old now that I doubt it is worth more then 150€". So I offered him 125€ and the deal was done. The guitar is a original Gibson SG built in 1972 in perfect condition. It's like new except for one ding in the finish....

Yeah, people forget that guitars can be good investments, too.

Everyone's heard the stories about going to an old lady's garage sale before she goes to the retirement home and buying a mint '57 Strat for $10 that belonged to her son who was killed in Vietnam and kept under the bed in it's case since 1965. Honestly, though, I've never seen it personally.

A friend of mine I used to gig with has a nice mid-'60s Gibson SG with P-90s and the Lyre vibrola tailpiece. He thought it had been stolen when his apartment was robbed 20 years ago, but somehow he found it in his basement after four moves! Anyway, before he mentioned it to me, he took it down to the music store to see about getting it set up. After all, it hadn't been played in 20 years. The repair guy was like, "Okay, I will set it up for you right now while you wait, because I don't want to be responsible for some chucklehead stealing it if you leave it here." My friend had no idea that something like that could have actually appreciated in value, even with a lightly checked finish. He gave like, $100 for it back when he was in college because his friend needed the money.

The SG still plays great, didn't even need a trussrod adjust. Pots weren't scratchy, either.

Whats the little bright bit by the neck pup? Is that a reflection or a toy?

Nice axe man, I'd change those butt ugle knobs though, eeeww I had some of them on a cheap strat and every time I see them now errrh (even on a lovely beast like that :D )

Stunning guitar. Can't beat the price for that quality and obvious care from the previous owner.

I'd agree with BeAR, though. The plastic knobs are okay for Strats, but on a fine guitar even Jackson or Ibanez puts metal dome knobs on the guitars. Cheap upgrade for a cleaner look. Putting plastic knobs on a Wolfie is like putting plastic hubcaps on a Vette. What was Peavey/EVH thinking?