3D cad LP top

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know....the wife (who had surgery 2 times in the last year), the 2 little boys (it's hard work trying to be a good husband and father) and the lack of budget have made my progress slow. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I have all my hardware and finishing supplies, I just need to get this stupid binding right. Hoping to be close to spraying finish by memorial day...we'll see

• 3 weeks later...

hmm it seems a bit bottom heavy..but not bad

Wow, that looks REALLY good! I especially like the string-through holes following the back curve of the body, a really snazzy touch.

I agree with Crafty, though, from my own experience with my TOM string-through and reading the thread about break angles, I don't think I'll do another string-through without reading up a lot more first. Those holes do look a bit far away from the bridge, I hope the break angle over the saddle will be enough to keep the strings seated in the notches.

Not to rain on your parade, at all, Jer, it really is fantastic work through and through.

In related news, my buddy says that he has a kit he never ended up setting up, just sitting under his bed. It's mine if I drive and pick it up. Chances are it's a Saga kit; they're the most popular kit brand, methinks. I'm crossing my fingers that it's an LP. Can't wait to pimp that out :D

• 5 months later...

Well, I finally wired this thing up last night and played it for the first time. That was pretty cool. I have the admit the finish kicked may @$$! It looks good from far, but far from good :D :D . I made a few mistakes and I was running out of warm weather to spray lacquer, so I decided to just put the thing together and see if it will even play! It plays pretty good and I haven't even finished all the final set up stuff yet. I figure I will play it over the winter and if I am so motivated, I will strip it down and refinish it in the spring. I will try to add some pictures this afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I finally wired this thing up last night and played it for the first time. That was pretty cool. I have the admit the finish kicked may @$$! It looks good from far, but far from good :D :D . I made a few mistakes and I was running out of warm weather to spray lacquer, so I decided to just put the thing together and see if it will even play! It plays pretty good and I haven't even finished all the final set up stuff yet. I figure I will play it over the winter and if I am so motivated, I will strip it down and refinish it in the spring. I will try to add some pictures this afternoon.

Here are those pictures

P1010099.jpg

Back

another angle

Nice job, Jer! I'd be all over this if I had a CAD setup. Hey, maybe you can make some money on people shipping their maple tops to you :D

I like the paint, too. I don't see how it's "far from good," but maybe that's why the pictures are so small, hahaha.

Joking, joking. It's a nice color, works very well with the hardware.