3D cad LP top

I hadn't really been able to find a cad model like this of a carved lp top so I made my own.

I started with a dxf template I found on mimf. I belive it was originaly drawn by John Catto. Due to file conversion issues the entire downloaded file was made up of tiny little line segments. These tiny lines make it almost impossible to do good surfacing, so I redrew the template over top of the original using true arcs and lines.

With a good clean outline I started doing the surfaces. I tried to use what I had learned from Setchs build, things like the neck angle and pickup plane. As far as the curves are concerned, I just had to wing it and go with what looked good to me.

Here are a couple of screen shots from my cad system. I know it is not exact but what do you think?

lptop.jpg

http://img62.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img62ℑ=lptopiso.jpg

First time I have ever hosted or posted images hope this works

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

Thanks for the comments!

The software I used to draw this guitar was Mastercam. It is a cad/cam software I use at work. I am hoping in the near future to use this model to machine that top in a cnc mill.

As far as learning to do it, thats kind of hard to say. I took a 1 week class to learn this software about 6 yrs ago. Out of that 1 wk class about 3 hrs were spent on creating 3d geometry and surfaces. Thats how I learned the basics, but most of what I do at work is only 2d. So I just kept going hit and miss with different techniques until I got something I liked.

What program have you been using?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I finally got to borrow a digital camera so here where I am at:

lp1

And here are some more links

lp2

lp3

Here is the machine I cut it on:

CNC machine

My prototype was made up of pieces of MDF I glued together, but I went out yesterday and bought a sweet 1 piece mahogny blank for the body and enough mahogany to make 2 necks. Here is a pic of the body blank:

body blank

This blank came off a board that was about 1 9/16 thick 14 1/2" wide and about 10' long. I would have loved to buy the whole thing, but budget dictates. :D

I know the pic suck but I couldn't get the flash to work on the borrowed camera. I will figure it out tonight and get some better pics. B)

Hehehe...you should finish the MDF body up with a plywood neck, just to see how it sounds...good work so far!

It is hard to see how much relief you have on the carve (relief=height change from center to edge); is it similar to a regular LP?

On the real deal I would not do the knobs like that (tops parallel to the original top plane); make the knob tops parallel to the carve if you want it to be true to the original.

The neck pocket looks very deep...the whole body looks thick to me.

Hehehe...you should finish the MDF body up with a plywood neck, just to see how it sounds...good work so far!

It is hard to see how much relief you have on the carve (relief=height change from center to edge); is it similar to a regular LP?

On the real deal I would not do the knobs like that (tops parallel to the original top plane); make the knob tops parallel to the carve if you want it to be true to the original.

The neck pocket looks very deep...the whole body looks thick to me.

I plan to finish the mdf body, but I am going to use real wood for the neck, primarily for strength.

The top is 3/4 thick and the deepest part of the carve is 1/2 deep. I'm not sure how to photograph the thing to make that show up better.

Carve wise my design is more extreme than the the real LP, but I wasn't going for and exact copy. I kind of like the knob recesses. :D

The main body of the guitar is 1 1/2 and the top is 3/4" at the max giving me an overall of 2 1/4 which I think is standard.

holy freakin $#it. is this your garage or a shop you work at? I imagine a shop, but what a machine. Remember I want my LP top done so please let me know, I can even be your test subject if need be

That machine is in the shop of the family buisness. That thing is pretty sweet to use. As far as doing your lp top, the cad I created is not standard. It is my own variation on the theme. I hope to be doing my real wood soon, so i'll let you know how that comes out.

The Eastons, well the plan is to refletch them and then go kill bambi. B) Well, next deer season anyway.

Yeah that machine is pretty big. The table travel are 40"x20"x20" x,y, and z. Easily long enough to do my neck, that's next. If you look at the pic of the mahogony body blank, on the left side of the table saw is the neck blank I laminated out of mdf. Just another prototype. Mdf is nice and cheap to practice on. I don't feel too bad if I screw it up :D

That's sweet! I want one. The CNC machine that is. B)

Having just carved two tops by hand, I can't really express how much that CNC machine, along with your CAD work, would have simplified my life, not to mention the eliminating the carpal tunnel syndrome. :D

Nice work.

DAYUM. nice. is that a Fadal?

is that top Ren? how much did that cost, never seen it in a sheet that thick.

nice work with the paths, did the roundover bit cut that smooth or did you finish by hand?

edit:

oh, ive got MasterCAM and Solidworks 2003 on my comp. got it with the mouseclick discount :D

took me FOREVER to find masterCAM. when you see how much it cost then you wonder why you cant find it.

Edited by asm

Asm- Actually that is a Haas VF-3.

The material is MDF, probably not an ideal tone wood but good enough for my prototype ( I didn't want to blow $50 on mahogany until I knew what to expect).

In these pics that has been lightly sanded with 150 or 180 grit paper. When it is finally sanded to my liking it's off to some people I know for a TOP SECRET experimental finish.

Yeah I have a legal copy of Mastercam for work, so that works out nicely. But solidworks sure does look interesting.... :D

• 2 months later...