Sg Tips...

Okay, so, here's my plan:

After thrashing around town looking to find carpentry skills under a rock in the park, I've decided to just put-together a guitar from parts I can buy.

I've got an SG body coming to me...rather, it's SG "styled." It's that darker-red, burgundy color. I've also got black knobs, and a chrome stop tail/bridge set.

So, here's my question:

I can get a hold of a few cheap strat-styled necks...I like how their not very thick. How crazy would that look, d'you think?

And another thing, if I were to find a neck of any type and want to use it for my SG project, how can I figure out if the neck-scale is right? I'm really new to that aspect.

Thanks

Chris

My very first electric was an SG copy, with a Strat headstock. It was a 'Sakai'- a brand I have never seen or heard of since.

After all of the years, I have come back full circle and have a REAL gibson SG... I definatly preffered the look of the Gibson headstock, but the strat one didnt look too bad... certainly better than the Humbucker equipt 70s Teles...

I think PerryL has the key question. If the body you ordered has a neck pocket already intended for a bolt on neck, then you will need to go with that style neck. It is possible to buy a pre-made bolt on neck with a rectangular head shape that is ready for you to cut to your own design. That way, you can have the ease of a store bought bolt on but with a custom head shape.

One other thing to be cautious about. If the body is intended for a bolt on and a TOM bridge and stop piece, the fretboard will have to sit up a bit in order for the strings to sit right. You will need to take that into account with the neck you buy.