Macassar Ebony For Neck?

Hi!

I am currently planning a guitar arround a nice piece of spalted maple. In terms of look a striped neck made from macassar ebony(with nice stripes) would be very cool. I know Ed Roman uses that stuff for necks and PRS sold a series with ebony necks. Can anyone tell me how it sounds as a neck wood? I guess it's even denser and harder then rock maple, so I suspect it will sound even brighter? Right?

Thanks,

MK!

It's Ebony Marcel.

It'll sound just like a typical Ebony fretboard.

Hey, you ever hear of Jukka Tolonen?

He's a German jazz-fusion guy from the late '70's, I've been listening to his stuff for over 20 years now, but haven't kept up on his career of late, thought maybe you had heard of him.

I seem to remember the disc 'A Passenger To Paramibo', or Paramaribo, or something like that. I love jazz-fusion stuff. :D

Tasteful player from back in the day. :DB)

Hehe....I never heard a ebony fretboard alone....I only played necks with ebony fretboards so far. But I do not know what an all ebony neck will sound like....

Brighter or darker than maple?

Concerning that jazz guy: I like fusion & jazz very much, but I never heard about that guy. Are you sure he is german? The name definateley is finnish or swedish and not german....

hi..

i think.. wood material and make neck & body.. final sound is some same wood's sound..

so if you have ebony neck material.. knock .. and listen wood's sound..

this sound will make your guitar's neck sound..

i think.. ebody will make powerfull sustain & powerfull middle ..

but i think.. valance is more important..

and ebody is not suitable..

i think rosewood is more good for neck..

bye..

I bought a neck from warmoth.

Koa neck

macassar ebony fretboard.

Guitar sounds so awesome, bright sounding but still holds the bass tones. Was going to resell this neck and now its a keeper.

I would use macassar ebony its pricey from my supplier but very snappy tone. I love it.

That is a Finnish name, I know because I am Finnish. I don't live in Finland though and he didn't hit my time, so I haven't heard of the guy. Go for the ebony neck I would say. It will probably play great. You won't finish it with anything apart from oil I hope?

Did some research...

He was born in Helsinki in 1952.

He formed the well known Finnish band Tasavallan Presidentti (The President of the Republic) which consists of saxophonist and flutist Juhani Aaltonen, bassist Måns Groundstroem, vocalist Frank Robson and himself.

He is Finland national guitar hero.

He recorded in many styles, such as rock, blues and fusion jazz.

I'm with Wes.. that neck would be killer heavy, and the cost would be really high also. Have you ever picked up a big piece of ebony before, it's weighs a ton.. lol No matter what quality sound it makes sometimes it comes down to weight issues. I made an earlier guitar out of Ash which I been told was Swamp Ash, but later after the guitar was put together I found out just how heavy it was and scrapped it. The only reason I found it was a concern is that everyone I showed it too said, "it's nice, but no way I could play that all night". I quickly learned that the woods you pick should not only be a good tone wood, but also not so heavy that it makes playing the guitar painful. Also, your right, if you use a heavy neck wood like Ebony, you better use heavy wood for the body or it won't balance correctly.

I'm with Wes.. that neck would be killer heavy, and the cost would be really high also.

Hmm....I cannot agree with both of you here.

Rock Maple has a specific weight of 755 kg/cu.m

Ebony has a specific weight of 960 - 1120 kg/cu.m

A common Strat neck made from maple has a weight of approx 1, 5 KG.

That means that the same neck would be 2, 25KG if made from Ebony in the WORST case and without taking the hardware and fingerboard into account. Additonally the guitar will have a bolt on neck which means not much neck wood. Who cares if a guitar weights 0, 75 KG more or less?

I bet my Spalted Strat with this neck is still way lighter than a standard Les Paul.

Concerning the cost:

Macassar Ebony is way cheaper than most highly figured woods.

I will get the neck blank for 80$. I payed 140$ for the 5A flame maple neck blank I used for my 7-String.

Now it's your turn....:D

I wasn't trying to discourage you from using it, just giving you some things to consider.

Sorry if my post sounded agressive. I am thankful for every help and your post made me think about the weight issue again. But as you see it's not as terrible. Concerning the price: You're right here. In comparison to standard neck material it IS expensive. But why build guitars I could buy in the next music store anyway? :D