My Latest Veneer Finish

My latest project was an Ibanez RG520QSTB, as some of you know, the blue stain on these from the factory is often so dark you can hardly see the figured veneer top.

I have two RG520QSTB's, so I figured, why not try something different with one of them...

I used a heat gun to remove the factory finish and veneer (being careful because the body is made of Mahogany under there and it's softer than most woods).

Once stripped to the mahogany, which would have been fine to leave as is with a nice stain (but I chose not to because as I warned, when taking off the top, I did get a couple small gouges into the wood... it's really soft!)

I applied a nice veneer top to it, one piece for each side...

It turned out magnificently, except for one big damn air bubble that I couldn't seem to get out on the forearm contour.

I decided that it was bad enough for me to not leave it that way, so I ripped this veneer off and started over.

The next veneer top that I had wasn't the same kind of veneer but still pretty anyways.

I got the second veneer top on, doesn't look as good as the first did, but still not bad. I applied one quick light coat of cherry stain, then sprayed the back and sides of the guitar with a flat black. Then I applied a coat of matte clear over the entire guitar. I'm pretty happy with it now, it tured out pretty good for my second veneer attempt ever. Much better than the first veneer top that I did a long time ago, which was a Charvel.

Anyways; here's what came out of this:

I wish now that I did that 3D stain technique to it -- ahh... another project!

P1010001.jpg

Edited by JiMoSiTY