Top String Thru Ferrules

they have great steel pieces {they are harder to find than the brass ones that i found originally.} but they were for somethign to do with a toilet. and i was like man thats a great string ferrule if only it was steel not brass. and after an hour of looking i found it. i was at acehardware. if ic an find them again i will post some pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Great News Everyone Interested! Garrett Baker Just got back to me from Warmoth and they just recieved TOP FERRULES for 5.00 for chrome, 5.50 black and 6.00 for gold. I believe thats for 6 of them but, I'll have to get back to you about it OR look for them on their website in new items! I know many of you will love to see this, as I've been searching everywhere for them also.

I had thought that Top Ferrules were a commodity like gold or something since everywhere I asked they did not sell them or tell me the manufacturer.

Finally, Warmoth comes through again and pulls my butt outta the fire.

They DO have a 25 Dollar minimum but that shouldn't be a problem since I plan on buying alot of them just to have em on hand in case they sell out of them right away. I'll keep a special stash of em for future projects.

• 3 weeks later...

xebryusguitars, have you ordered from this guys? I just called them and the guy that answered was chinnesse and barely speaked english, he said something like they will either shipp on fridays or that he will get them on friday, I didn't understand so I haven't ordered yet. I don't think I will just to get the ferrules, I am going to home depot or Lowes today and check the SS ribets they have, I'm sure I can get ones the right size.

• 4 weeks later...

thought i would revive this thread, I want to use pop rivets for top ferrules on my Jem (yes, its a string through Jem with TOM, i like to be different) and was wondering, how do you get it apart? like, it seems a little tricky, mind you, i also dont have any rivets on hand yet, so i cant say for sure, but judging from that picture, wouldnt you have to drill out the stud (i dont know if thats the proper name or not, but the part you put in the hole first) because if i remeber right (ohh yea, back 3 years ago) they snapped off and then the end flaired so it didnt pull through again, am I correct??

Thanks

Curtis

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01774.jpg

As you can see up there, the only thing you have to do is place the ribet top against something and then tap the nail from the sharp end to get it out. Make sure that you get steel rivets not the aluminum ones!!

will the alluminum ones not stand up to the tension and deform??

I can pick up a dozen tommorow and get them going, do you press them in?? or glue??

Thanks

Curtis

I see you've already ordered those top ferrules already though.

Nope, those are rivets :D , $3.50 for 100!!!!

Curtis, just make sure that you drill the hole to the exactsize were they will barely slip in and out with out paint, then once painted they will be snug, you can put them in place and while holding them with pliers apply a little heat (soldering Iron) to the top and they will melp the paint and slide right in, once cooler push all the way in.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Maiden, one more question, instead of ferrules, could a metal bar work? Like on Jehles Vee?? i just have the option of doing something fancy with metal and having it on my guitar, but if it wont work properly, then I wont do it

Curtis