Top String Thru Ferrules

I've been working on my string thru body and wondered if any of you may have seen or know where to get Top ferrules where the strings come through on top of the body.

I'm using tele string ferrules for the back and I know I've seen some nice chrome tops on certain guitars but I need to find some to add to the look of the guitar. It would look fine without them but if anyone has a line on some that can be purchased, I'd love to add them to it.

some guys on the forum have used the grommets from a set of bass strings successfully

Not a bad idea. Too bad i cant get some in black. I was looking for some black ones because im getting another platinum virgin and making it white with black hardware to be a sister guitar to my main guitar.

some guys on the forum have used the grommets from a set of bass strings successfully

Not a bad idea. Too bad i cant get some in black. I was looking for some black ones because im getting another platinum virgin and making it white with black hardware to be a sister guitar to my main guitar.

paint them...install them...then clearcoat the guitar

Aren't the top ones mainly just a ring to make it so that the string doesn't gouge the naked wood? They have rolled edges so that there's no sharp metal edge that the string is grinding against (me thinks that the back ferrules have sharp edges where the string would touch it).

MzI: Do you use the flush mount tele ferrules for the top?

I've been wondering where to get some top ferrules as well.

0173_1lg.jpg

StewMac Ferrules

Both kinds seem a little jagged where the string would be bent to head toward the bridge

B):D

Edited by angry_jeremy

i use the ones with the ring around the top, not the flush mount ones for both the front and back, i like em on the front because your gonna have the strings leaning against the metal instead of the wood, if the strings were leanin against the wood itd be destroyed and look terrible

MzI

Thanx Exe, Like Scott was saying Those lil suckers are too light weight and would bend and deform under the stress of the string So the Flairs are probably the best choice. Haven't seen them before but the hardware store I go to should have em. If not they can order em for me. Thanx everyone for the input and I'll update you as soon as I get them and get em installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd, Thanx Alot! That's Exactly what I was Looking For AND they're easy to get and Hard enough that they won't buckle under the string pressure. They are small enough that they won't take up half the guitar top either.

"That's the Dog Bollocks" as the Brits say! After reading the Router topic I noticed you were from Ohio. Where you located? I'm in this lil village of Lexington Close to Mansfield.

Edited by PerryL

Eyelets maybe not .. but what about those cabinet ferrules?

I've placed various eyelets in a strip of wood -- but haven't stress tested them yet.

Good point about questioning its ability to withstrand the stress.

OK, I was at Rockler today and saw those pieces you use to make cabinet shelving.

These are pins that go into the shelf and ... round ferrule-like things to which they mate.

At this point, I'm thinking the cost savings is lost :-)

-- joe

Todd, Thanx Alot! That's Exactly what I was Looking For AND they're easy to get and Hard enough that they won't buckle under the string pressure. They are small enough that they won't take up half the guitar top either.

"That's the Dog Bollocks" as the Brits say! After reading the Router topic I noticed you were from Ohio. Where you located? I'm in this lil village of Lexington Close to Mansfield.

I live in Cincinnati. My wife is from the Cleveland area so we go past Mansfield on the way up.

Howdy, neighbor! :D

Edited by toddler68

Yes. like tod said, use ribets, they have SS and if I get lucky I will get some from alloy that are used on some vehicles here! I called Stew and they don't have the top ones on that pic are back ferrules of 2 different types, and Carvin don't sell the top ones, I already call them too. THe craft eyelets suck they are too flimsy (soft) but look cool.

It looks like the craft eyelets would sit properly in a recessed hole made by a brad point drill bit. The brad point bit makes a mushroom shaped head. Then you could drill out the center of the hole to accept the eyelet and use CA. But then you'd reduce the chance of deformity because you'd have wood right behind it.

I've used brass collets from compression fittings used with nylon plumbing tubing. They're super cheap, and they're strong and deep. They have a bugle head shape to them that's perfect for the strings, but difficult to fit. I used a drill bit slightly larger than the head of the "bugle" as the recessing bit, then drilled the hole, and finally used a tapered reamer to get the last bit of widening at the opening of the hole.

On maple tops I have carved a long, gradual "egg shaped" opening and after saturating it with thin CA it holds up fine. You just have to get the angles and the curvature right to disperse the pressure.